Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lockers ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ho
Question lockers ?

what lockers do you think are best ? im thinking about buying the rustys super dana 30 and dana 35 kits with arb lockers front and rear what do you think ?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

I certainly wouldn't waste locker money on the D35. I'd find an open diff'd 8.25 rear end and go from there with you simple lunchbox lockers(fr and rr).
Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

X2 on not wasting coin on a 35 but if you have the cash for arbs and such they are about as tough as it gets. Only down fall is if you loose air, break an air line you got an open diff. 8.25s are great axles in the 29 spline versions and will hold a 35, plus it's a bolt in.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 PM

agreed with the 8.8 but i do want selectable lockers but i cant decided if i want air,ox or a electric lockers
Old 11-24-2010, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by redxj97
agreed with the 8.8 but i do want selectable lockers but i cant decided if i want air,ox or a electric lockers
They arent talking about the 8.8... The 8.8 = Ford. 8.25 = Chrysler and comes in the XJ.

It literally bolts right in, its maybe a 2 hour swap including beer drinking time.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
They arent talking about the 8.8... The 8.8 = Ford. 8.25 = Chrysler and comes in the XJ.

It literally bolts right in, its maybe a 2 hour swap including beer drinking time.
ok but still this does not help me at all and it i was to swap my rear axle i would go for the 8.8 with disc breaks

but the question still stands are the arb lockers worth it?

or should i go with ected locker that offers limited slip when its off ?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Year: 1999

There will be supporters of all of these. I run ARB's front and rear and am a big fan. As most everyone will tell you, the reliability depends on the quality of the installation. Over 20 years of ARB usage offroad, I have not had a line break, get pulled off, or fail once.

One of my wheeling buddies has an OX up front and hates it. He says the engagement and disengagement is very difficult. This COULD be an installation and/or previous owner maintenance failure.

My vote is for ARB, OX, and electric in that order
Old 11-24-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FloydXJ
There will be supporters of all of these. I run ARB's front and rear and am a big fan. As most everyone will tell you, the reliability depends on the quality of the installation. Over 20 years of ARB usage offroad, I have not had a line break, get pulled off, or fail once.

One of my wheeling buddies has an OX up front and hates it. He says the engagement and disengagement is very difficult. This COULD be an installation and/or previous owner maintenance failure.

My vote is for ARB, OX, and electric in that order
thanks for the info im pretty sure i am going with the arb seeing my jeep does see alot of pavement and being able to turn em off will be nice
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Year: 1998

Just so you are aware, you can use a Chrysler 8.25 from an XJ and get a disc brake setup from a junkyard ZJ, although I'm not sure what year.

A search on this forum would give you all the details.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by buckshot500
Just so you are aware, you can use a Chrysler 8.25 from an XJ and get a disc brake setup from a junkyard ZJ, although I'm not sure what year.

A search on this forum would give you all the details.
thanks i will look into that
Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

I'm a fan of e-lockers, because they rely on a system already on the jeep and can be jerry-rigged with some electrical tape on the side of the trail, should the trail get "grabby". If you lose power, your not gonna move anyway. I like Ox lockers too, but if the cable pinches or snaps your left holding your squirt gun in the breeze, plus I'm not a fan of the selector lever. A lot of guys run ARB's with success, I just don't like relying on a separate system. Its about redundancy for me.

Thats my opinion and everybody has there own, but if you go the direction of e-lockers, at least eaton e-lockers, stay away from the older ones. They're a two pinion design. All ARB's, Ox's and the newer eaton e-lockers are 4 pinion and much stronger. The Eaton e-locker warranty doesn't apply to anything over stock size tires, but I've seen them get beat to hell on 36's and brush it right off.

Google search your question and you'll be reading for hours and hours.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
I'm a fan of e-lockers, because they rely on a system already on the jeep and can be jerry-rigged with some electrical tape on the side of the trail, should the trail get "grabby". If you lose power, your not gonna move anyway. I like Ox lockers too, but if the cable pinches or snaps your left holding your squirt gun in the breeze, plus I'm not a fan of the selector lever. A lot of guys run ARB's with success, I just don't like relying on a separate system. Its about redundancy for me.

Thats my opinion and everybody has there own, but if you go the direction of e-lockers, at least eaton e-lockers, stay away from the older ones. They're a two pinion design. All ARB's, Ox's and the newer eaton e-lockers are 4 pinion and much stronger. The Eaton e-locker warranty doesn't apply to anything over stock size tires, but I've seen them get beat to hell on 36's and brush it right off.

Google search your question and you'll be reading for hours and hours.
the only think i have against eatons my buddy had on and got in installed by a pro and the first day out wheelin it blew apart and it was one of the newer ones but who knows it could have been the installer or manufacture flaw

and i was reading reviews on arb eaton and ox and the best was arb so far
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

the only think i have against eatons my buddy had on and got in installed by a pro and the first day out wheelin it blew apart and it was one of the newer ones but who knows it could have been the installer or manufacture flaw

and i was reading reviews on arb eaton and ox and the best was arb so far
Yeah ARB's go one hell of a good reputation. E-lockers are fairly new and the design has changed a couple times since their deployment. Physically from what I've read and understand, they are similar in strength. Some guys just tend to break stuff too. I'd be curious to know exactly where each locker is prone to failure, but its kinda hard when the pieces are put through your new ring and pinion $$$$...ouch. Manufacturers aren't to willing to talk about their products weak points either.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
Yeah ARB's go one hell of a good reputation. E-lockers are fairly new and the design has changed a couple times since their deployment. Physically from what I've read and understand, they are similar in strength. Some guys just tend to break stuff too. I'd be curious to know exactly where each locker is prone to failure, but its kinda hard when the pieces are put through your new ring and pinion $$$$...ouch. Manufacturers aren't to willing to talk about their products weak points either.
so true, from what i have read about the arb is the only problem most people have having is with the air line.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Also keep in mind the ected is only rated up to a 35. I've only know one person to run an OX and he loves it and there are no air lines or compressors to break but ARB has a good rep. Just don't use the plastic lines that come with them, they crimp and dry rot. Also keep them away from heat and anything that can damage them.

Quick Reply: lockers ?