Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lock washers or loc-tite

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default lock washers or loc-tite

Given that there are probably places lock washers wouldn't work, could they be used in place of loc-tite?

For example, could I use lock washers on my steering box bolts rather than loc-tite?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

no you want to use locktite do not use lock washers. you don't want it to come loose. so get a bottle of blue locktite.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

I recently downloaded a report from NASA on fastener pros and cons - the biggest news to me was their finding that the standard split lockwasher is worthless as a bolt lock device!
My experience with hard-tail Harleys and old ****** has made me trust Loctite for bolt locking. Loctite's specs also recommend red (272) for fasteners over 1/4" diameter. When I had an old Harley panhead and rode cross country numerous times (yes, that was when I was younger), I would use red even on machine screws - the trick being to use just a drop - and never any problems removing with regular hand tools. I don't even waste my time with blue, unless I'm working on electronic items. Just a little info to think about! Russ
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by bobvalli
Given that there are probably places lock washers wouldn't work, could they be used in place of loc-tite?

For example, could I use lock washers on my steering box bolts rather than loc-tite?
Split lock washers? Don't bother - they don't grab anything.

"Star" lock washers? For low-stress applications, they're fine.

LocTite? Good stuff - but bear in mind they make varying degrees of strength for a very good reason. Using, say, #242 on a small screw means you're very likely to break off the screw and have to machine it out to replace the part next time. Pay attention to what LocTite sez the grade you're using should be used for, and you'll be aright.

I've also used clear nail polish on very small screws (riflescopes and such) with excellent results. Also, for screws that can be a bit silly, I'll coat the threads with RTV before I put them in (oil sump, valve cover, differential covers, and the like.) The screws there are also relatively low-torque installation, but the RTV remains reasonably flexible, so it can handle flexion better as well as vibration and suchlike, and you'll usually have to retorque oil sump screws and valve cover screws in a week or so after having done the job anyhow... RTV holds up better to retorquing than LocTite does anyhow.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Well thanks guys. I replaced a lot of hardware over the summer and used split locks on all of them (thinking they'd hold firmly enough while not having to worry if I need to get them back out).

Looks like I'll be taking em' out one at a time and Loc-Tite'ing them.

Thanks again

Last edited by bobvalli; 11-06-2010 at 08:55 AM.