Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Limp home mode/sensor or a bad torqe converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Limp home mode/sensor or a bad torqe converter

I have a 95 cherokee Inline 6, AW4 Trans
The problem is heat related Maybe a sensor gets to operating temp and dies.
Maybe the torque converter is gone.-Kinda looking for all suggestions.

The Problem is as follows ,In texas heat Im lucky to get 25 miles. In the freezing rain Ill get 300 miles.Either way When The tempature rises to what I beleave is a normal operational temp. The jeep Goes crazy.

When driving highway speeds.AFTER 25 MINS I am forced out of gear at any deceleration. Not like down shifting ,I dont think it is down shifting more like rpms droping to death.

I have to rocket the rpms to 3500-4000 to catch my gear agian then I fight to keep it in high gear. I can still get all my gears. I feel like im mutilating my engine though.

AFTER 25 MIN At Slow speeds any deceleration could kill the jeep. Especially if im in first.I decelerate using nuetral but that only buys 10 additional minutes.Eventully im shifting like a standard
droping into N from D keeping rpms at 1250 and following through with every acceleration. When it dies the RPMs Bounce as if the engine tries to keep it alive but the problem allways wins.

Nuetral after awhile reqires 1250rpms to keep it running.But Nothing I do can keep it running for ever.

Ive checked the obvious and located all the equipment that has athority over the transmission I have cleaned and inspected wiring.

I Have removed the Throttle body and cleaned sensors.

I have experience with a meter over 900 classroom hours electrical.I hear folks wire switches to the TCU for the torqe converter and that a few of the sensors tie back in to the TCU.

I have an idea to splice into the TCU so I can watch as I drive differnet things like torqe converter lock up and sensor readings. but what am I looking for Any one have good diagrams for the aw4 with voltages in plain english.?

I checked the tps and allthough I didnt drive long anuff to simulate the problem all my readings were consistant ,I watched them in real time.

Allso no metal in the tranny all gears, shift good, Fluids good at low temp and the problem has been happening 2 years now. 30,000 miles

Im Gonna stop my post for questions and awnsers.

PS Common since goes farther than a good education, because its something you cant teach .
Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

there are a few write ups concerning a manual/tiptronic type shifting for the aw4 . its not a new idea. do a search for aw4 shifting mod on google. I was having a few issues with mine and wanted to monitor what my tcu was doing and what solenoids were picking. i used a led for the three solenoid indicators and tc lockup.im not sure where to start with your issue.