Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lights not working

I have a 1996 jeep Cherokee and my running lights, break lights, reverse lights and my blinkers front and back don't work but my head lights do I've checked fuses and all are good I checked if I was getting power and I got nothing just trying to figure this out so I can drive my baby again any ideas
Old 10-20-2016, 03:21 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'd throw a flasher relay and a headlight switch at it
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 PM

Default Need help

I have a 1996 jeep two Cherokee and my back tail lights, break lights, reverse lights and my blinkers don't work. Front head lights work and the fuses are all good. What could it be I need help thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

looking at my Haynes manual. If this is the correct diagram It looks like you have 3 fuses--park/tail 20a...clk haz stop 20a....turn/bu 15a....check them with a meter......looks like the turn and hazards go through the multi function switch (steering column)...the park/tail goes through the headlamp switch.....if they all went out at the same time something common to all has failed, I would look into a bad ground somewhere.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:15 PM

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/cherokee/edge_cherokee.html
Old 10-20-2016, 08:58 PM

Year: 1987

To me seems like fuse issue. Just put some new ones in, sometimes the bad fuse is so minor hard to tell. Also check for grounded wire at hatch area, but that would still give u a blown fuse! If fuses r good and replaced and still nothing, its a disconnected wire(s) somewhere...
Old 10-24-2016, 03:16 PM

I just replaced the turning signal switch and head light switch and all fuses again still nothing
Old 10-24-2016, 09:21 PM

Something common to all has failed--Unless you are having two separate problems at the same time. check ground at the power distribution center, and fuse panel. I will try and look at the Haynes manual again. Unfortunately the wiring diagrams are not that great; or I'm not great at reading them.

post #3 has some info on the 1996 PDC

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/pds...iagram-130063/

Last edited by mikesignal; 10-24-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM

also check the condition of the wires, especially where they connect to each lamp assembly. Old corroded connections and wires could be your problem. Check all grounds associated with the lights too.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 PM

are the back up lights working? are the hazard lights working?

Last edited by mikesignal; 10-24-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 PM

Year: 1995

Front and back are on different grounds, I'm looking through the Chrysler manual and I think the only thing all of those lights remotely have in common is the headlight switch. It also shows the headlights to be on a different circuit within the switch than your running lights and your turns. Brake and back-ups are loosely related but on separate circuits. You need a true wiring diagram and test lamp, check headlamp and stoplamp switches.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mikesignal
are the back up lights working? are the hazard lights working?
I have nothing in the back no reverse lights no break lights no turning in front and back or hazard lights checked fuses all are good and swapped out the headlamp dimmer and multifunction switch and still nothing
Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 PM

I have a Haynes manual, and it shows a diagram, but I'm not sure how accurate and complete it is. From what I can tell the park/tail, hazard/stop, and turn/back up all go back to the fuse panel. They are showing the headlights getting it's power from somewhere else. The park/tail and hazard/stop show hot at all times fuse, so if you have a meter test the fuse location to see if you are getting voltage at the fuse locations. The turn/back up says it is hot with run and acc, so check that fuse location with it on or accessories on.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by mikesignal
I have a Haynes manual, and it shows a diagram, but I'm not sure how accurate and complete it is. From what I can tell the park/tail, hazard/stop, and turn/back up all go back to the fuse panel. They are showing the headlights getting it's power from somewhere else. The park/tail and hazard/stop show hot at all times fuse, so if you have a meter test the fuse location to see if you are getting voltage at the fuse locations. The turn/back up says it is hot with run and acc, so check that fuse location with it on or accessories on.
Yeah I got the same diagram i check all the grounds and wires and fuses i think the next step is to just rewire it I'll most likely find the problem lol
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 PM

You have to be sure you are getting the voltage at those specific fuse locations. The voltage is flowing through them to your lights. The fuse might be fine, but if there is no voltage getting to the fuse, it's not going to get to the lights.

Quick Reply: Lights not working