Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lights On Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lights On Front Bumper

So I want to add two lights on my front bumper next to my winch. I need some extra light, and like how it would look. One of my main questions is are a pair of Baja lights from WalMart good?
Link

I like the rectangular lights, since they'd match the headlights. If you have the round ones, feel free to change my mind.
How would these look on the bumper? Link

Also, what is the best way to hook these up? I'd like them to come on with my headlights, but if I need to push a button, that'd be fine. I'm sure if I dig around I can find something. I just wanted some reviews on the lights.

Thanks

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 09-22-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

this is all my personal opinion-

-Lights on either side of the winch almost always looks good.
-Dont buy walmart lights unless you will break and need to replace them often, I made that mistake, save up and get some decent lights, i prefer round fog/driving lights on the xj.
-Dont wire them in with the headlights, in places that is illegal.

-I like how these are wired up-

Edit, your second link leads to another light...

Last edited by taythegibs; 09-23-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Oh OK, makes sense. I just figured because they're out in the open, the might get stolen or broken. I live in downtown Chicago, and have had my powered mirrors stolen off my Expedition years ago in a so-so neighborhood. They unplugged them without breaking anything, lol. Where would you recommend I get a pair of lights? Also, why is wiring them to my headlights illegal? Can I not have them on when driving at night? I've seen other vehicles with similar setups, and would be using it for that reason mainly. Since I don't want to get HIDs or whatever for my headlights and look out of place.

Oh, and the second link was just showing the round light opposed to the rectangular one.

Thanks!

And here's my bumper, so you can see my mounting options. - https://i.imgur.com/urAZI.jpg
Do you think putting them inside my grill would be fine? I saw some XJs with that. Not sure if it restricts air flow though..

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 09-23-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

I got round lights on my bumper. Love em. Check them out in my album. I like the look too.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 AM

Year: 1993

I believe according to Illinois law, you can have up to 4 lights powered on the front of a vehicle. That would be 2 headlights and 2 fogs, or 2 aftermarket lights.

I'm going to put 2 cheapie lights on the front of mine as I don't have any fogs. Just make sure to wire them up with a relay and not on the headlight circuit.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Resident Pirate

lol, sorry, I read it as "how would they look on this bumper" in reference to the illegality, i know in some places it is illegal to run aftermarket lights on the road (i know most of the ones ive dealt with said for off road use only) in your area though, i have no idea.

Lights that seem popluar are made by Hella, KC, lightforce(Expensive), and westin. I mainly hear about KC and Hella.

ill try to find some links
Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the replies! I think you're right, Andy. I've seen other trucks with 2 headlights, then two aftermarkets underneath/fogs, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I am doing it to be safer on the road, lol. And I checked out your album, Langley. Looks great! I'll actually keep the round lights in mind now.

And thanks for looking for the links, Tay. I don't mind getting nice lights, I just don't want them to get damaged or stolen. Maybe something relatively cheap but nice to see if they'll get stolen, lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Resident Pirate

The "Smiley face cover" KC Daylighters
Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 233 Daylighter 6-Inch 100w Long Range Off Road Light System (Pair, Black): Automotive Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 233 Daylighter 6-Inch 100w Long Range Off Road Light System (Pair, Black): Automotive

PIAA, almost forgot about them but they are kinda pricey-
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...42&t_pl=101990

Hella 500's I know several people who run them
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...n=HLA005750952

Out of the two links you posted id go with the round ones http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blazer-100...i_sku=15111226 but i had a similar one that rusted out (in ga, no salt here)

A lot of offroad superstores have lists of lights with pictures, you can pick a style you like and comparison shop for good prices! I hope ive been of some help.

Last edited by taythegibs; 09-23-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

You've definitely been helpful! I don't want to come off cheap, but I'd feel more comfortable running a test pair. Are there any cheap lights you'd recommend? I feel annoying for repeating this, but I don't like the feeling of having something stolen from me, especially if it's something expensive. But that's the risk you run living in Chicago, heh. I do like those KC Daylighters though. The covers are nice, lol.

Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 AM

Bolt em down with lock tight! Haha
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr. Langley
Bolt em down with lock tight! Haha
Yeah, could do something like that. A Wrangler in my garage had the lights stolen off his bumper. I think they were whatever ones come stock, but they taken out of the enclosure.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by taythegibs
this is all my personal opinion-

-Lights on either side of the winch almost always looks good.
-Dont buy walmart lights unless you will break and need to replace them often, I made that mistake, save up and get some decent lights, i prefer round fog/driving lights on the xj.
-Dont wire them in with the headlights, in places that is illegal.

-I like how these are wired up-

Edit, your second link leads to another light...
I like I like I just ordered my winch bumper yesterday so Im goin to think about lights for sure.. I wanted a light bar first but idk
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy

Yeah, could do something like that. A Wrangler in my garage had the lights stolen off his bumper. I think they were whatever ones come stock, but they taken out of the enclosure.
Yeah cause no way some random dude lookin to steal lights is gonna sit there for an hour and try to mess with it. And if u need to get it off just heat it up and give it some elbow grease.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 brutus
I like I like I just ordered my winch bumper yesterday so Im goin to think about lights for sure.. I wanted a light bar first but idk
I originally wanted a lightbar too, but I haven't done much late night off roading yet to really need a bar. I have been driving more often from the burbs to the city on the dark roads with no lights, near forests and stuff, so there are deer everywhere. And I can't see anything unless my hibeams are on.

If I wanted to pickup a cheap pair, would something like these be a bit better than the WalMart ones? I'm convinced to not get my lights from there, lol.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=330060
Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Year: 1995

Don't be one of those ******** rolling around with foglights on ALL THE TIME... IIRC in the UK it is illegal to use foglights if there is no fog, and sometimes I really wish they would pass a law like that around here...

Quick Reply: Lights On Front Bumper