Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lighting Issues: Rear Tails, dash lights--HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Lighting Issues: Rear Tails, dash lights--HELP!!!

I have been tearing into my 1989 xj trying to get some stereo **** figured out. As i was reinstalling all the dash components ready to go test out my deck and what not the dash lights and rear tail lights are no longer working. The Turn signals in the rear work and on the dash, as well as when the brights are clicked on you can see the brights indicator on the cluster working. I have checked all fuses under the panel and replaced any that looked "fishy" still no help. I have no power going to the rear tail lights (checked with a test light) im at a standstill....any ideas would be awesome and hopefully fix my problem.
thanks
Ken
Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 TD

Hi Ken,

I'm a newbie here myself but I've got a similar issue, do a search up top there's quite a few threads regarding this I spent ages reading through them today, loads of possibilities !

Martin
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

I had the exact same problem, it came out to being a blown fuse in the engine bay.I had alreeady checked the fuses a few times but missed it, i found it when i just decided to remove all the fuses in the engine bay and put them back with the owners manual.Hope this helps
Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM

i cant seem to find fuses in the bay...maybe im blind maybe...but where do they hide.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Yours is a renix and the fuses are under the dash on the drivers side.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:00 PM

all fuses are good underneath, ive done lots of reading and the only thing i can come up with is the switch, but it seems impossible to remove from the dash and i cant see any sorts of relays underneath there for it, i have pics as soon as they are uploaded....untill then im just gonna leave the dash apart and drive her as she sits
Old 08-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Sorry about the size....but i cant see how to remove the light switch thats what im looking at so hope it helps!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Is this one of those where the switch has a button, maybe ontop you push to release the **** to pull it out? Then the nut and the switch comes out. I think it is.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 PM

its flush under the blue cluster pack, im close to pulling out all my hair at this one
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: i6 HO

Here do this, look underneath the switch, look for a spring loaded button, Push it and pull the plunger out. take a large flat head and twist the little screw and then it will fall down, push the clips in and pull the headlight switch out. Ta da! re-install in reverse order.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM

after installing an new switch, the lights on the dash and tails worked...then stoped. The fuse poped and so i replaced it, yet another fuse poped. I threw in a 25 just for ****s n giggles....poped and was extreamly hot(couldnt use fingers to take out). So where do i go next? Grounds? I just replaced leads on the terminals, as well as cleaned the starter and ground wire, new coper leads heat shrunk and E wraped, (finally above 10v on the dash). When the lights were on the dash the drivers side blinker light was quite dim compared to the others. Thanks for all the help so far. Aftetr i get this **** figured out, my stereo installed, its off to pull and save for a junk yard lift. Ill keep you posted, but im thinking dakota rears, f150 fronts, there is some ranchero shocks on a xj out there, unsure of the quality left...till then
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM

any help...any ideas....please
Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 TD

Does your jeep have a towing hitch have you checked for shorts on that? Clutching at straws but possible ?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by lostinmiself
after installing an new switch, the lights on the dash and tails worked...then stoped. The fuse poped and so i replaced it, yet another fuse poped. I threw in a 25 just for ****s n giggles....poped and was extreamly hot(couldnt use fingers to take out). So where do i go next? Grounds? I just replaced leads on the terminals, as well as cleaned the starter and ground wire, new coper leads heat shrunk and E wraped, (finally above 10v on the dash). When the lights were on the dash the drivers side blinker light was quite dim compared to the others. Thanks for all the help so far. Aftetr i get this **** figured out, my stereo installed, its off to pull and save for a junk yard lift. Ill keep you posted, but im thinking dakota rears, f150 fronts, there is some ranchero shocks on a xj out there, unsure of the quality left...till then
First NEVER put a larger fuse than what its rated for in. The extra current will cause something else to fry. Might have been that you got a defective switch. Take back to parts store and exchange for another. If still having the problem. Then we'll take it from there

Quick Reply: Lighting Issues: Rear Tails, dash lights--HELP!!!