Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lifting and Tire Size help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Lifting and Tire Size help

I have been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out the right way to go about doing my lift. My cherokee is all stock and a little beat up, but I got it with the intentions of doing some work on it. I would like to be able to put 33's on it, but I would settle for 31's. In my research I found that I can do the 31's with just a three inch lift and not having to alter anything.
Does anyone have any expereice on what I would have to do to accomodate a 33" mud style tire? My jeep is a stock 99 cherokee. Im all ready trying to figure out how to get the engine fixed (probably gonna get a rebuild). But I need help figuring out everything I need for the 31's or the 33's. Help
Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You can do 31" with a 3" lift, putting the lift on might require a transfer case drop and extended brake lines if you plan to wheel it. Also the trackbar might need to be adjusted. I dont have experience with 33s on an XJ but maybe with some fender trimming you could fit them? Do a search on lift/tire combos and you might find a lot of info on it.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

you don't need to do a transfer case drop at 3". As far as fitting 33's... are you planning on rock crawling? or doing a lot of highway driving? if you need the higher clearance for crawling over bolders, a 6.5" lift bump stopped properly will fit 33's. Long arm's the way to go then of course. If you plan on doing alot of highway traveling, or offroad stuff that's not at a crawl speed you will probably want to keep the lower center of gravity the 3" lift has and trim your fenders + bumpstop appropriately to fit some 33's
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I had to do a tcase drop on my 99 XJ with 3" lift, major vibes. My 93 XJ with 3" lift I didn't need it though, got slight vibration in the rear but barely noticeable. It could be year or lift specific?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

maybe? or u joints, or bent drive shaft? maybe it effects the 2 doors more? (if yours is a 2 door)
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

you dont need to go huge i beleive this beauty belongs to Mikeh on here... this thing is my insparation.... 2.5" lift with 33s and ive seen pics of him doin some pretty serious stuff there all on his page go check it out
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM

you will need 4.5 to fit 33s

I like my 3.5 and 31s. I can go more places with the 31s then i could with my wrangle that had 33s. I think 31s are a good compromise between offroad crawling and highway use.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

yeah I think Im gonna have to stick with the thirty ones cause I am still going to have to drive it to work everyday. Im mainly in it for the mud and trails so low center of gravity would probably be best I guess. I really dont want to have to do to much to the fenders.
So I would just need the lift kit and the new tires to get started with the 31's? How do you pick the right stabilizer, when I was looking into ordering the lift kit I think it had something like a steering stabilizer? Anyone know anything about that?
Thanks for the input guys
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 PM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

most long arm kits will come with a stabilizer that is tuned more for the larger lifts. since you are going to be getting a smaller lift and running non-monster tires, you will be able to use the stock steering stabilizer. you really only need to worry about upgrading if you are installing a larger lift, but replacing it with a newer stock replacement unit is not a terrible idea either. and even if you do replace it with an upgraded unit, buy an after market bracket that mounts it to the track bar, since you can reposition it on the track bar, and most will come with instructions that tell you how to do this correctly. it may seem like a big task, but in reality, is very simple. so easy a caveman could do it.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

I dont know man, i am kinda a caveman when it comes to cars. I was gonna have it done by a buddy or pay someone. I wish I could do this stuff myself but I just dont have anyone to do it with me.
As far as replacing the stabilizer, when I went looking at lift kits it was only like 50 extra dollars to replace it. And this jeep is so beat down that if I am going to get anything I can replaced at the same time as this.

Ive been googleing lift kits and I really dont know what to be looking for. Are there any keywords I should be searching for with a 3" lift kit? Anyone know of any places to find something like this? I think the size tires that Im looking at are 31x10.5x15
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

i like rough country. their website will give you every bit of info on what you need.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

here, i think instead of just telling you about what there is, better take a look. these kits i am linking here are all pretty nice kits, will allow for a 31" tire (and some of them can go to 33", so don't let the listed size in the description foll you any), and won't break the bank.

Skyjacker - this kit comes with a full leaf spring pack (much better than add-a-leafs because you will get more usage out of it, and won't fail on your as quick) and comes with shocks. (and this kit is a more upgraded set, but still pretty nice : http://quadratec.com/products/76017_863.htm )

Rubicon Express - this brand always makes quality product. the only down side to this kit is you'de have to buy the shocks separate, but over all won't break the bank. (and there version of the upgraded kit: http://quadratec.com/products/16300_802.htm )

Tomken - another basic kit, but once again, doesn't come with shocks

Superlift - probably one of the better 4" lift kits that will allow fitments up to a 33" tire if you desire, but rides just as well on 31's. thsi kit comes with everything, and even an adjustable track bar (great upgrade! and they also have their other kits that include all the same stuff, but have the updated swivel links for another $300).

if you want as well, they have the lifts also specified by year, rear axle type, and so on. what's nice about the Quadratec.com site is they carry just about every brand with out of the box kits, and almost all the variations. makes it nice when you have a specific set-up you are working with and want to compare. other sites like 4wd.com also have some of the same kits, and may have competitive pricing. also, check out Iron Rock Off Road for some different kits, and even parts that if oyu happen to break something on your lift down the road, they have all the parts needed to replace it, or even upgrade your kits.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6ho

Your rig is a '99...
If you plan on disconnecting and running off road, 31's when stuffed will rub the rear lower portion of the front fenders and the front lower portion of the rear fenders. If you plan on turning while a tire is stuffed you will need to cut the front wheel wells larger, or, you'll be constantly tearing off your flares, and will run the risk of buckeling the fender on account of tire/sheet metal interference.
All this assumes you will run just enough bumpstop to keep the tire off the inner wheelwell.
Lift kits do not make your wheel wells bigger... plain and simple.

I run 33's on 2.5" of lift (cut fenders and bump stopped) and have no complains with flex. For flex reference, check my photo album, or the flex thread (https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/fl...20424/index12/) where I've posted recent pictures.

If you do not want to cut your fenders, yet want to be able to stuff your tires, run 30x9.5's.

Brett,
Thanks for the compliment on the rig...