Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lifting my 99 more..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lifting my 99 more..

Hey guys,

I've got a 99 XJ with a 3.5" Superlift kit in it. It came with new LCA's and all that jazz.

I'm thinking of getting a new leaf pack made to bring the rear up from 3"(rear lift was for 3" only) to 4 or 4.5". For the front, do I have to buy longer lower control arms if I put a 1" spacer in? Hoping to get 4-4.5" front and rear out of a 3" kit.

I know I'll have to get longer shocks, longer flex/brake lines and probably drop my tcase or get an SYE.

Anything else I might consider?

I know I could go with shackles, or stick another AAL for the rear, but the rear springs are pretty soft and I'd like to get some new ones..
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock UCAs will not work for a lift that high, IMHO. It will throw the angles of your front end off and could lead to front end problems. It's not usually deadly, just scary as hell!! Save up some money and buy the proper equipment, it will be worth it in the end. I have been down the road you're on, trust me!! Best of luck in whatever you decide!!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM

I have no problems in having to replace the UCA's... Will the lowers be long enough or would it be wise for me to look for some adjustable or longer ones?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

You will need both upper and lower control arms at that height. A dropped T/C will be a waste of time at 4.5" you will need the SYE kit. You are gonna need a lot to go up about 1.5" so really consider how much benefit you will get for that amount of cash expenditure. If you still think it is what you want then look at all the parts in the RE 4.5" kit to get an idea and then add the SYE and a driveshaft on to that.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

add adjustable trackbar in there.

for not much more than a set of adjustable control arms you cou also go longarms and acheive a better ride, better handling and offroad capabilities.

but for the bare minimum to make it work i would get a good set of adjustable uca's (dial in your caster)

a solid hd trackbar (re hd, tnt, rock krawler, etc)

brake hoses
shocks
sye and cv shaft (front shaft if you have a automatic and 8.24/dana44)

for the rear i would reccomend a 1.5" lift shackle. gets you the height you want and allows for a nicer ride and flex.

don't overlook bumpstops either, they are essential to a properly functioning suspension setup
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
add adjustable trackbar in there.

for not much more than a set of adjustable control arms you cou also go longarms and acheive a better ride, better handling and offroad capabilities.

but for the bare minimum to make it work i would get a good set of adjustable uca's (dial in your caster)

a solid hd trackbar (re hd, tnt, rock krawler, etc)

brake hoses
shocks
sye and cv shaft (front shaft if you have a automatic and 8.24/dana44)

for the rear i would reccomend a 1.5" lift shackle. gets you the height you want and allows for a nicer ride and flex.

don't overlook bumpstops either, they are essential to a properly functioning suspension setup

Can't believe we agree on something but again there are costs involved. But at 4.5 or higher a longarm kit will be the better thing to put under your Jeep.
All the things the ktm suggested are going to be the best way to go but we are talking about $2000 in quality equipment to go that high, unless you are capable of building your own then you can cut that in half.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Can't believe we agree on something but again there are costs involved. But at 4.5 or higher a longarm kit will be the better thing to put under your Jeep.
All the things the ktm suggested are going to be the best way to go but we are talking about $2000 in quality equipment to go that high, unless you are capable of building your own then you can cut that in half.
imo there are 2 ways to build a jeep

the wrong way, and eventually the right way.

and the right way.

ive cut corners before and was never happy with them. I eventually replaced every corner i cut.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Renix Super Guru

Cutting corners is never the safe way to go. If you build a Jeep for anything except possibly to show off in a parking lot, then those corners you cut will come back to bite you in the butt. That has always been my luck anyway.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

ive got some 4.5" LCA's for sale !!

check the for sale section