Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Lift Gate Struts Binding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Lift Gate Struts Binding?

So I needed to replace my lift gate struts. I went down to the parts store and got myself a pair and tried to put them in. I stuck the right one in, from looking at the back, then tried to put the left one in and could not. This was because with the right one connected and fully extended the bottom "ball" that the clip was suppose to click onto is .5" to high up on the left side. I thought that the struts were bad and took them back and went to a different auto parts store and bought 2 more and the same thing happes. I can put the left one in, the shorter side, then pull the gate down and put the right one in. When I do this and the lift gate is all the way open the right strut is the only one that is fully extended the left one is not. This is not a big deal except when I close the back it is binding. I can close and open it, but opening it the gate sticks real bad. If I put the old one back in this does not happen. The gate open and closes easily with no sticking at all. Has anyone else had this issue. Is there a way to adjust anything. I have no idea what is causing this. I can hear it scrapping when I open and close it and I dont want it to permanently jam shut.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM

So no one else has had this problem?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

what year cherokee? are the struts the same length side by side? Bolted connectors on top and ball connectors on bottom?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by qualm
So I needed to replace my lift gate struts. I went down to the parts store and got myself a pair and tried to put them in. I stuck the right one in, from looking at the back, then tried to put the left one in and could not. This was because with the right one connected and fully extended the bottom "ball" that the clip was suppose to click onto is .5" to high up on the left side. I thought that the struts were bad and took them back and went to a different auto parts store and bought 2 more and the same thing happes. I can put the left one in, the shorter side, then pull the gate down and put the right one in. When I do this and the lift gate is all the way open the right strut is the only one that is fully extended the left one is not. This is not a big deal except when I close the back it is binding. I can close and open it, but opening it the gate sticks real bad. If I put the old one back in this does not happen. The gate open and closes easily with no sticking at all. Has anyone else had this issue. Is there a way to adjust anything. I have no idea what is causing this. I can hear it scrapping when I open and close it and I dont want it to permanently jam shut.

Any advice?

Thanks
The only thing I can think of is possible body roll, ie the jeep's been rolled or had pretty serious body damage that was repaired and not done correctly. I haven't heard that problem or experienced anything like it and this is my 3rd xj. Might have to cut the ball off and have a body shop relocate it so that they are even left to right. Best I can think of, sorry bud
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

^x2 on that.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM

really guys? without more info from the OP guesses are useless.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

The life gate shocks on my 2000xj are the same height
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DaddyCat
what year cherokee? are the struts the same length side by side? Bolted connectors on top and ball connectors on bottom?

It is a 1999 Cherokee and yes Bolted connectors on the top and ball connectors on the bottom. The struts are the same height. I don't really think that it was in a roll. I did a carfax on it and everything except the front window is original, as far as I can tell. I will check more thoroughly today after work.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM

ok, please measure from the ball on the door frame to the bolt holes on the hatch (both sides) and comfirm they are the same distance. Are the struts you bought "universal fit" struts or exact fit struts for your cherokee. Do you still have the old struts? If yes, how do they compare in lenght to the new ones?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

That doesn't make any sense unless someone deliberately relocated the ball stud's mount or else your tailgate's twisted. I also have a '99 and recently replaced my tailgate struts. Take a measurement from a known fixed reference height location (like the top of the taillight housing) and if it's still true then you've got to inspect for the relo work then make them equal again.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DaddyCat
ok, please measure from the ball on the door frame to the bolt holes on the hatch (both sides) and comfirm they are the same distance. Are the struts you bought "universal fit" struts or exact fit struts for your cherokee. Do you still have the old struts? If yes, how do they compare in lenght to the new ones?

They are universal I guess. I just went into Napa and asked for lift gate struts. I will measure from a known point on both sides and see what I come up with.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

If the person at NAPA asked what year and model cherokee you wanted struts for then they most likely sold you struts made to fit your jeep and not universal, universal struts typically have ball sockets at both ends. Does the lift gate close correct and even with no struts? Be aware the lift gate is very heavy (I'm sure you know this). Are there extra bolt holes on the lift gate, I wonder if someone stripped the original bolt hole and tapped a new hole. Some thing must be different from one side to the other.