Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Let's play "what's that noise!"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 renix
Talking Let's play "what's that noise!"

For a while now my ax15 manual transmission has been making noise with the clutch released and it finally gave up the ghost two weeks ago. I just now have been able to get it into the colleges shop where I go to school and start pulling stuff apart to take out the transmission. Here's a video of the noises it made after quitting on me.
Now some of you may think I was beating on it or racing it when it broke but that isn't the case. I was driving down interstate 76 doing about 80 when the transmission went silent for about 3-4 seconds then a loud bang and rpms rose and my speed dropped and I had no gears what so ever. So I limped it over to the side of the highway and sat there waiting for my buddy with a trailer to come and get me. Well today I got the transmission apart to see what went out on me I was pleasantly surprised to see less carnage and destruction than I thought I'd see. I was expecting a broken shaft or wobbled out bearing hole. Turns out I SHEARED all of the teeth off of the input shaft.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/...w/image_1.jpeg

Anyway I have a replacement transmission with 93k on hand getting new synchros seals and bearings. Just thought you all might find this interesting.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM

If you take a look at the counter shaft gear you'll notice none of the teeth are evenly worn. Some of which were so differently worn that I can only speculate a few of the teeth had gone missing prior to my purchasing and the rest worn down as I drove it around.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 PM

After a long time without the jeep it's back up and driving around. Has roughly 500 miles on it since I installed the transmission. All seems to be going well. The transmission I rebuilt has a little bit of an odd noise in first gear but it isn't getting louder or causing any ill effects that I can tell from the outside.