Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Left Front is wearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default Left Front is wearing

Well long story short, I was at the lake the first of this week and noticed my right front tire had wore funny. Now the ride to the lake is like a 2 hour drive going 70-75 the whole way. Theres a quarter thickness (thickness of a quarter lol all i could think of) difference between the other 3 tires and i noticed the tire didnt wear completely the same all the way around as well. I got my lift put on around 3-4 months ago and it had an allignment done when the lift was put on, and the tires are new, had them mounted and balanced the same day as the lift was put on. Please help, im afraid to drive my jeep and wear my new tires lol
Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

Well first thing is rotate the worn to the rear to help balance the excessive wear. Then get back to allignment shop ASAP. Show them the result of their work. They may be willing to warranty their work.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Year: 1987

tires can come out of balance and alignments arent always perfect, id take it in and have both redone
Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 PM

pics
Old 11-24-2010, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Could be a worn tie-rod or loose steering component, make sure everything is tight under there and they toe in or out could be off, can you give me details on the wear on the tire? Does it have a feathered look to the rubber? is it worn down the center or all over in general or on the sides only? or on the inside or out of the tire?
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

If you just got all that work dune. They should warrentee there work and any damage it causes! If If they did Aline it right they should have checked your whole front end and if they didn't they should replace any damages for free. If you ask me it sounds like they didn't get the alignment right. Now if they don't fix it it will cost you $$$ that tire will be junk and if you rotate it and put on any significant mileage after you will destroy another tire!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
Could be a worn tie-rod or loose steering component, make sure everything is tight under there and they toe in or out could be off, can you give me details on the wear on the tire? Does it have a feathered look to the rubber? is it worn down the center or all over in general or on the sides only? or on the inside or out of the tire?
its wore on the middle lugs and more on the outer part of the inner lugs then towards the wheel well. The wear is smooth but not completely round
Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
its wore on the middle lugs and more on the outer part of the inner lugs then towards the wheel well. The wear is smooth but not completely round
Did you over inflate the tires by accident or did the shop do that? And from what it sounds like, you have a toe out problem on that side of your jeep. Id definetly go get your allignment checked along with some suspension components to be safe, not worth buying another tire every other month
Old 11-25-2010, 05:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
Did you over inflate the tires by accident or did the shop do that? And from what it sounds like, you have a toe out problem on that side of your jeep. Id definetly go get your allignment checked along with some suspension components to be safe, not worth buying another tire every other month
I know i heard from some others that when you lift 3 inches then your axle moves out to the right, but mine moved to the left. The tires arent that overinflated, the rear is perfect. Front just needs to be dropped to around 31 or so
Old 11-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Year: '95

if you don't do anything to the track bar for any lift, the axle will be pulled to the left.

you could do a quick check of your toe-in. the alignment shop should have checked all your tie rod ends, ect, before they did an alignment, but maybe they didn't