Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf spring shackle help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 IL6
Default Leaf spring shackle help

So I’ve noticed my leaf spring shackle (which I recently replaced) is hitting on the shackle bracket. Is this normal, and if not how do I fix this? It makes a noise when it hits which is how I noticed it to begin with.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

Looks like the leaf is longer than factory. Aftermarket leaf spring? I can think of three ways to remedy:

1) Install new, factory length leaf springs

2) Install “boomerang” type shackles

3) Install shackle relocation brackets.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
Looks like the leaf is longer than factory. Aftermarket leaf spring? I can think of three ways to remedy:

1) Install new, factory length leaf springs

2) Install “boomerang” type shackles

3) Install shackle relocation brackets.
No actually it’s the same size as the factory springs, the drivers side doesn’t have this problem. All the springs and shackles are all factory spec. That’s why I’m confused about it.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 96whitecherokeeguy

No actually it’s the same size as the factory springs, the drivers side doesn’t have this problem. All the springs and shackles are all factory spec. That’s why I’m confused about it.
Unless you’ve been in a collision that could have altered the dimensions of the unibody, the only thing that could cause this is variation in leaf length. My suggested remedies remain unchanged.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Unless you’ve been in a collision that could have altered the dimensions of the unibody, the only thing that could cause this is variation in leaf length. My suggested remedies remain unchanged.
they’re brand new leaf springs, I’m not replacing them again. I made sure they were the exact same size as the old ones, no the jeep has never been in a collision. When the spring straightens, it gets longer. It can either push the jeep up or that shackle back. I’m wondering if the shackle is supposed to move that much or if it’s maybe too loose. I was hoping someone with experience could help me out with this.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 96whitecherokeeguy

they’re brand new leaf springs, I’m not replacing them again. I made sure they were the exact same size as the old ones, no the jeep has never been in a collision. When the spring straightens, it gets longer. It can either push the jeep up or that shackle back. I’m wondering if the shackle is supposed to move that much or if it’s maybe too loose. I was hoping someone with experience could help me out with this.
Just trying to help based on my experience of having done three full suspension jobs on my XJs over the past three years.

Perhaps someone who has dealt with your exact situation will chime in. I’m interested in seeing a solution outside what I’ve suggested.

Last edited by ElMartillo; 05-01-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Does it hit at ride height, or just when you put a load on it/flex? If it's hitting when flexing or loading shackle relocation boxes and/or boomerang shackles would help. If it's hitting at ride height there are a few possibilities.
A) you have a large amount of weight in the jeep
B) the leaf spring is longer than factory
C) the jeep is twisted
D) some how something was installed wrong maybe the front of the leaf spring isn't secured properly and it's letting the leaf spring "walk" back. Not sure exactly what all could have gone wrong during install.

More pictures especially from different angles and of the whole area would help.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Just trying to help based on my experience of having done three full suspension jobs on my XJs over the past three years.

Perhaps someone who has dealt with your exact situation will chime in. I’m interested in seeing a solution outside what I’ve suggested.
I understand that and I certainly appreciate the suggestions. Sorry if it sounded like I was being short with you I’m just at work and don’t have much time to reply. I appreciate the help.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

What brand of leafs did you use? I'll be monitoring this thread closely as I have to replace my leafs in the somewhat near future.

Did you torque the shackles to the factory spec? If so then I don't see how they could be too loose (unless they worked their way out a bit).
Old 05-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
Does it hit at ride height, or just when you put a load on it/flex? If it's hitting when flexing or loading shackle relocation boxes and/or boomerang shackles would help. If it's hitting at ride height there are a few possibilities.
A) you have a large amount of weight in the jeep
B) the leaf spring is longer than factory
C) the jeep is twisted
D) some how something was installed wrong maybe the front of the leaf spring isn't secured properly and it's letting the leaf spring "walk" back. Not sure exactly what all could have gone wrong during install.

More pictures especially from different angles and of the whole area would help.
the jeep sits like this at ride height (no load). These are heavy duty springs but other than that they are the same as the stock ones. I’ll post more pictures when I get a change. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:33 PM

A quick search yielded this. Maybe some insight?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/qu...-frame-229048/
Old 05-01-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
What brand of leafs did you use? I'll be monitoring this thread closely as I have to replace my leafs in the somewhat near future.

Did you torque the shackles to the factory spec? If so then I don't see how they could be too loose (unless they worked their way out a bit).
not exactly sure, bought them off rock auto and of corse now they don’t have the same ones I got listed on their website. I’ll let you know if I figure it out.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:40 PM

A quick search yielded this. Maybe some insight?

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/qu...-frame-229048/
thank you very much I will check it out.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Are the shackle boxes OEM ones? This one is:

Old 05-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL