Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about shackles hitting frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question about shackles hitting frame

After my last thread turned into a mini debacle, I am a bit hesitant to post another question, but here goes;
When I had my lift installed I didn't have new shackles installed because I was deciding between sliders and boomerang shackles. After the lift under compression the shackles hit the frame in the rear. The shop can't get me in to replace the shackles until next week but I really want to get out to do some exploring this weekend. Should I just postpone my outing or go for it? Anyone else wheel like this for a trip before correcting it?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:13 PM

Year: 1999

Short answer, no do not go until it's fixed.
A little more info would be helpful, as I have yet to see new springs be too long that would cause this issue. Typically the shackles are closer to straight up an down. Longer shackles won't solve the problem. You need to relocate the upper attachment point. Upload a pic if possible.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

This is not unusual when the lift includes longer shackles.

It is also possible the shackles were installed backwards, which on some styles, lets them hit the frame sooner.

The shackles on my rig currently hit the bumper bolts, so I trimmed them back to give clearance (the bolts), but if I was to fully compress the spring, I am sure the shackle would hit the frame anyway.

It shouldn't be an issue unless you plan on hitting full compression hard...as in at speed. If you hit it slowly, then when the shackle hits the frame and the spring stops compressing, that side of the rig will just go up instead of the tire only moving. Just like hitting a bumpstop. hit it hard, and it can cause damage...hit it slowly, and it won't, but either way, once you are on it, the whole body is moving not the tire/rim.

Last edited by TRCM; 09-06-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue I installed hd off-road shackle relocation kit and a set of iron rock off-road boomerang shackles and fixed my issue rides a lot better. Now I just got to ditch these bull **** shocks and get nice ones and put my long arm in lol
Old 09-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TRCM
This is not unusual when the lift includes longer shackles.

It is also possible the shackles were installed backwards, which on some styles, lets them hit the frame sooner.

The shackles on my rig currently hit the bumper bolts, so I trimmed them back to give clearance (the bolts), but if I was to fully compress the spring, I am sure the shackle would hit the frame anyway.

It shouldn't be an issue unless you plan on hitting full compression hard...as in at speed. If you hit it slowly, then when the shackle hits the frame and the spring stops compressing, that side of the rig will just go up instead of the tire only moving. Just like hitting a bumpstop. hit it hard, and it can cause damage...hit it slowly, and it won't, but either way, once you are on it, the whole body is moving not the tire/rim.

No new shackles yet, still the stock ones. Decided on boomerang shackles instead of the sliders. Here are a few pics of my shackle angle now. I don't know if they are longer springs or not but they came with my Clayton 4.5" LA lift.

This is not going to be a long-term issue because as soon as my shop can get me in (and get the freaking rusty bolts and shackles out of my jeep) I will be in good shape...at least until the next issue arises! lol. Ah the joys of a 20 year old vehicle.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Stock shackles will not allow enough movement of lift springs.
Leaf springs that have added lift use an increased arch to achieve lift. This causes spring to 'grow' when compressed. The stock springs have very little arch and do not require much shackle movement.
If you use stock shackles with lift springs there will be a sacrifice in articulation and shackle will bottom out either towards the rear under compression, or towards the front during droop. Regardless of if you have relocaters or not.
A 4.5" lift requires 3.5" leaf springs and 1" lift shackles. Not sure what Clayton was thinking sending you 4.5" leaf springs for a 4.5" lift.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 09-07-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: corrected vendor of parts
Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Stock shackles will not allow enough movement of lift springs.
Leaf springs that have added lift use an increased arch to achieve lift. This causes spring to 'grow' when compressed. The stock springs have very little arch and do not require much shackle movement.
If you use stock shackles with lift springs there will be a sacrifice in articulation and shackle will bottom out either towards the rear under compression, or towards the front during droop. Regardless of if you have relocaters or not.
A 4.5" lift requires 3.5" leaf springs and 1" lift shackles. Not sure what Clayton was thinking sending you 4.5" leaf springs for a 4.5" lift.
Not sure actually, but I do know that there were no shackles included with the kit. Oh well, easy enough fix. So back to my original question: would anyone wheel (slowly) like this for a weekend? I never do any jeep-speed type wheeling and pretty much crawl almost everywhere I go when I am off-roading just because of the type of terrain where I go.

I already got 1 no answer and 1 yes answer, just looking for some consensus.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Beach Bum

Those leaf springs on your XJ do not seem to be made by Clayton. https://www.claytonoffroad.com/xj_45_rear_leaf_spring
Old 09-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
Not sure actually, but I do know that there were no shackles included with the kit. Oh well, easy enough fix. So back to my original question: would anyone wheel (slowly) like this for a weekend? I never do any jeep-speed type wheeling and pretty much crawl almost everywhere I go when I am off-roading just because of the type of terrain where I go.

I already got 1 no answer and 1 yes answer, just looking for some consensus.
Even driving slow over uneven terrain, the rear axle will articulate and weight of jeep will be on the contact point of shackle/chassis.
Looking at the corrosion of shackle there could be a failure of it when wheeling. If something like that should fail, it could require a flat-bed truck to get jeep back home.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Those leaf springs on your XJ do not seem to be made by Clayton. https://www.claytonoffroad.com/xj_45_rear_leaf_spring
What makes you think that? I ordered them from Clayton, they came with the rest of Clayton lift.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Even driving slow over uneven terrain, the rear axle will articulate and weight of jeep will be on the contact point of shackle/chassis.
Looking at the corrosion of shackle there could be a failure of it when wheeling. If something like that should fail, it could require a flat-bed truck to get jeep back home.
Good point. I guess I will hold off until I get that corrected. Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Beach Bum

What makes you think that? I ordered them from Clayton, they came with the rest of Clayton lift.
Just does not look like Clayton quality. I am noting the cuts on each leaf, they are uneven and rough. How about the front of leaf springs, do they have the military wrap like in the attached picture? Military wrap is where the second leaf wraps around the eye and first leaf.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Just does not look like Clayton quality. I am noting the cuts on each leaf, they are uneven and rough. How about the front of leaf springs, do they have the military wrap like in the attached picture? Military wrap is where the second leaf wraps around the eye and first leaf.
Yep, those are what I have.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Beach Bum

Yep, those are what I have.
OK that's good.
I had the 3-way shackles from Clayton. They worked great but may add too much lift to your rig.
IronRock makes both boomerang shackles that add 1" or more of lift, and a heavy duty adjustable shackle that offers 3/4" or 0" lift.

Adding informational pictures that apply to shackles and leaf springs. Note that the Rubicon Express shackles have a cut-out to help avoid contacting chassis or bumper bolts. I had to trim the bumper bolts on my XJ, they protrude into shackle box too far for some shackles.
Attached Thumbnails Question about shackles hitting frame-dsc03683.jpg   Question about shackles hitting frame-1601900.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by SteveMongr; 09-07-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Member

OK that's good.
I had the 3-way shackles from Clayton. They worked great but may add too much lift to your rig.
IronRock makes both boomerang shackles that add 1" or more of lift, and a heavy duty adjustable shackle that offers 3/4" or 0" lift (I have a new pair of these to sell, installed for mock-up but not driven on).
Adding informational pictures that apply to shackles and leaf springs
I ordered the Rubicon Express boomerangs. Might give me a bit of lift, but after I get my rear tire carrier bumper on and a 33" spare, will probably set me back level again.

Guess I will just set this weekend out. Will give me a bit more time to play with my new Phantom Drone and learn how to use it so I can take some epic wheeling video's

Last edited by HYRYSC; 09-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about shackles hitting frame