Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf spring length question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Leaf spring length question...

So I'm reading some posts and I keep seeing the Comanche leaf springs are "longer" than Cherokee leaf springs. Does anyone know the eye to eye specs on both?

Ok, let's say the Comanche leafs are I dunno, 2 inches longer than XJ leafs. Could I install the main leaf from the Comanche in my Cherokee? Reason I ask, is my shackle's are straight up and down, no angle at all. If I put in longer leafs, I would "theoretically...I'm asking here" get some angle back in my shackles and gain some droop and ride quality.

I know there are kits out there that relocate the shackle mount point lower and forward on the frame. Again, I'm going on my limited knowledge in this area. I'm guessing it won't work because the longer leafs are going to have a different center point on the springs and push the axle back. Right?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

It will not work. They are TOO long. i think (correct me if i am wrong here) they are 4" longer. But get shackle relocation brackets instead. You can position the shackle in any way you want. I have seen them work really well!