Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf & shock bolt sizes on 99 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaf & shock bolt sizes on 99 XJ

Greetings, finally going to get around to changing the leaf springs and rear shocks on my 99 XJ and figured I'd ask some questions related to OEM bolts on my truck.
I've been drenching the upper bolts on the rear shocks with PB Blaster as well as the front and rear bolts that hold the leafs, along with the u bolts that fasten to the rear axel in order soften the blow. I've used a breaker bar on the leaf bolts and I know that both front/rear leaf bolts are now slightly loosened, but in the event that I break or have to cut off either of those leaf bolts, can someone please tell me the sizes for those bolts so that I can buy them prior to the job.
Also, my big concern are the upper bolts on the rear shocks, I tried loosening them with an extension and they feel like they may be slightly stripped, I'd definately like to buy all four upper shock bolts in anticipation of shearing those. Can someone tell me the size of those (head, length, and thread size), don't want to have to be in the middle of the job & drop what I'm doing to then go and look for the right bolts. This way if I have to drill and tap em I can simply replace, thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM

Engine: I6

We are in the same boat. Beginning tomorrow, I'm switching to the angle grinder and will begin cutting. Began removing my rear floor and now have access to those stubborn rear shock bolts.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Kuya
We are in the same boat. Beginning tomorrow, I'm switching to the angle grinder and will begin cutting. Began removing my rear floor and now have access to those stubborn rear shock bolts.
I did not cut the floor pan. Drilled the bolt out, then dropped a new bolt with washer down from the top using the holes that are a few inches away at edge of panel.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I did not cut the floor pan. Drilled the bolt out, then dropped a new bolt with washer down from the top using the holes that are a few inches away at edge of panel.
I'm also replacing rusted rear floor boards, and figured I could do something with those bolts.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I've seen that guys do that Steve by guiding the new bolt to the hole with a thin wire. So what size is the original bolt for those rear shocks and what size did you use to replace them?

Last edited by Cherokee Charlie; 06-09-2016 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Misworded
Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 AM

Do you know the size of those original shock bolts?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I ordered a new set of oem leaf spring bolts from teamcherokee.com. Be warned, they're like $50. I had to cut a few of mine because the bushing sleeve was rust-welded to the bolts.

For the rear shock bolts, don't cut the floor or drill them out! Get an air chisel from harbor freight for like $10-$15 and use that to punch out the captive nut. It's then very easy to fish new hardware in from the top. This technique took me like 20-30 minutes and was a hell of a lot easier than cutting/drilling. I'm sorry but I don't remember the size, I'll check back in if I find it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cherokee Charlie
Do you know the size of those original shock bolts?

No, I do not. I bought this expecting problems with the rear shock. It came with bolts.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-...-nut-1082.html
Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
I ordered a new set of oem leaf spring bolts from teamcherokee.com. Be warned, they're like $50. I had to cut a few of mine because the bushing sleeve was rust-welded to the bolts.

[COLOR="red"]That price is crazy. I'm going to Lowe's and buy grade 8 bolts. /COLOR]

For the rear shock bolts, don't cut the floor or drill them out! Get an air chisel from harbor freight for like $10-$15 and use that to punch out the captive nut. It's then very easy to fish new hardware in from the top. This technique took me like 20-30 minutes and was a hell of a lot easier than cutting/drilling. I'm sorry but I don't remember the size, I'll check back in if I find it.
Some of us don't have air compressors
Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I'm also replacing rusted rear floor boards, and figured I could do something with those bolts.
That make sense..

I've seen that guys do that Steve by guiding the new bolt to the hole with a thin wire. So what size is the original bolt for those rear shocks and what size did you use to replace them?
I used what I had that fit, grade 5, not stainless. It is not a high load attachment like suspension bolts are.

They are not OEM, but I source suspension bolts (leaf springs and control arm) from NAPA. Usually in stock, $5 - $9 each.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I believe they are M8 1.25 (pretty standard), and their length I don't recall exactly, but I wanna say 30mm. Maybe a little less. (they are so common, that you can usually get little packs of them at any auto parts store). And the ones sold in little packs will have the flange shoulder and will typically be class 10.9 (metric equivalent to grade 8).
Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I believe they are M8 1.25 (pretty standard), and their length I don't recall exactly, but I wanna say 30mm. Maybe a little less. (they are so common, that you can usually get little packs of them at any auto parts store). And the ones sold in little packs will have the flange shoulder and will typically be class 10.9 (metric equivalent to grade 8).
You are spot on Jordan, they are M8x1.25x30's for the shocks, I went to Chrysler's site and checked the suspension diagram. And if you guys need the leaf spring bolts they are M14x2.0x20's.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:53 PM

something dont sound right the shock bolts are longer then the leaf spring bolts ?
Old 06-09-2016, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I think they are 120mm (maybe just a typo)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I think they are 120mm (maybe just a typo)
Yep you're right Jordan , just a typo, they are 120mm for the leafs, sorry 'bout that guys.