Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

leaf sag delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default leaf sag delete

whats the best option to getting rid of some of that annoying *** end sag. ive heard that bastard packs can ride a little rough, so im skeptical there. i have a 2" BB on w/ the rear drop shackles. my leafs that i have on ore OEM and have developed a slight negative arch. not much, but i hate it. so, do i wanna keep the drop brackets and do like a 2" AAL (prob. cheapest) or get a full leaf pack. and if a full pack, would i wanna get a stock height and keep the drop bracket, or get a taller leaf and remove the bracket? if money allows, doing the rustys kit seems like a good option... thoughts?
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by VTJeep
whats the best option to getting rid of some of that annoying *** end sag. ive heard that bastard packs can ride a little rough, so im skeptical there. i have a 2" BB on w/ the rear drop shackles. my leafs that i have on ore OEM and have developed a slight negative arch. not much, but i hate it. so, do i wanna keep the drop brackets and do like a 2" AAL (prob. cheapest) or get a full leaf pack. and if a full pack, would i wanna get a stock height and keep the drop bracket, or get a taller leaf and remove the bracket? if money allows, doing the rustys kit seems like a good option... thoughts?
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

With a negative arch an AAL will not keep for long. Do a good search and you'll see this question raised time and time again. The bottom line is that a good pack of full leafs is the best way to do it...do it right. I started with a bastard pack and I didn't think it was to bad at all. But then again an RE lift with full leafs was spectacular for me. Lok into prices on a full lift including leaf packs everywhere from RE to Rough Country to Rusty's. Save yourself the trouble by searching the forum though. This is a very well covered topic.

s
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by smtippin
With a negative arch an AAL will not keep for long. Do a good search and you'll see this question raised time and time again. The bottom line is that a good pack of full leafs is the best way to do it...do it right. I started with a bastard pack and I didn't think it was to bad at all. But then again an RE lift with full leafs was spectacular for me. Lok into prices on a full lift including leaf packs everywhere from RE to Rough Country to Rusty's. Save yourself the trouble by searching the forum though. This is a very well covered topic.

s
i like it. thank you. i really dont want to do PART of my suspension. id rather just spend the cash, do it right, and not have to deal with the same issues a few months later (AAL)... but i really want to keep the ride quality as stock as possible... which is kinda impossible if i want to lift it... but a close second is ok too... id really like to lock the rear with an aussie. but i feel that tackling the saggy suspension takes president... idk...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I bought Quadratecs full leaf packs for less than $100 each and am happy with them. Buy once and be done with it.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91/96

I did the bastard pack off a S10. Deleted all but the top spring of the XJ springs and it rides pretty good. Sitting around 4.5. But you can use just 1 or 2 S10 leafs and get your arch back and keep it at stock height

Last edited by OHHNOES; 04-05-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Bastard pack with a extended shackle is plenty flexy for me and ride great
Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Year: 1997

Find a decent set of springs, cut the pack open, cut off the eyes on your floppy springs, trim down your second leaf, bolt it all back together with new ubolts and you should be done for <$50.

If you have delicate sensibilities then you might not like the springs. If you want to be able to put more than 100 lbs in the back of your XJ then you'll probably like it.

Easy call to make, are you a $250 make it perfect kind of guy or a $50 get it done kind of guy.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by wildbill1
I bought Quadratecs full leaf packs for less than $100 each and am happy with them. Buy once and be done with it.

I did this, you can look at my pictures and see the difference.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by VTJeep
i like it. thank you. i really dont want to do PART of my suspension. id rather just spend the cash, do it right, and not have to deal with the same issues a few months later (AAL)... but i really want to keep the ride quality as stock as possible... which is kinda impossible if i want to lift it... but a close second is ok too... id really like to lock the rear with an aussie. but i feel that tackling the saggy suspension takes president... idk...
Seems to me that you're tackling multiple issues: looks, ride quality, and performance. First step is to figure out what you plan to do with the jeep. Will you need a lift, and if so is it for show or off road performance. Once you answer that (usually requires getting stuck a few times in your preferred playground), you'll have a better idea what looks and ride quality issues will be like.

You've got a 2" BB. Is that plenty? If so, the quadratech idea previously suggested may be the best route? If you need cheap, go the bastard pack route. Again, I was very happy with mine, but some think they ride horribly and that was a concern for you...just remember you drive a Jeep not a Cadillac. If you go the route of the full suspension lift, search the forum for the multiple discussions. I'll try to help too but everyone is biased so you'd be better off searching the thread and getting your reading glasses on. If you do go the full pack route, I would happily buy the 2" bb off of you and many others here would to so that might help offset the costs of the lift.

s