Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LCA Bushings, opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default LCA Bushings, opinion please

I had a very fun weekend of service on the jeep....not really. One day was all that was allowed for me to get driver's axle u-joint replaced, and both driver side ball joints.

I could physically do no more. I bought LCA bushings, and never got to them. They will have to wait for me to regain energy for the week at my office job.

Anyhow, back to subject, the guy at the parts counter said I have to have the new bushings pressed in at a machine shop. It's not just the rubber and the bolt sleeve, they have the outer metal sleeve on the new ones. Is there a tool out there at the parts stores I can use to get them out? I have searched, but seems like most the results I find, people are doing the poly bushings, and leaving the old outer sleeve in place, and just melting out the rubber. I'm aware of the cost for new control arms, but I already have the bushings, and hate to spend more money than I have to, if it means I have to work a little harder. I'm a weekend warrior, and finding a machine shop open on the weekend will be slim to none, also hate to have something torn apart in the garage all week.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

For a little more money it's easier to replace the whole arm. You run the risk of damaging the arms while pressing the bushings out and in, but if you must reuse the original arms it's better to have a machine shop do it for you.