Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Know any good sites that talk about XJ's and Air Conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Know any good sites that talk about XJ's and Air Conditioning?

My 1990 Laredo's air conditioning is blowing hot air, same temp as the regular fan. I've read through every post I could find here on AC all with a bunch of different ideas, things to try, etc.

I'm wondering if there aren't any technical resources on the web though? Anyone know of good AC writeups for cherokees? I wanted to try simply refilling the coolant with an over the counter solution first and see if that helps and if not, then take it to a shop for inspection, but I can't find enough write-ups about how to do this.

Any suggestions on where I can look?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I don't know about the sites. but if you just want to test, buy a refill kit for $25 at Wally World. If it work your done. If it is leaking, it'll work for a little while and then quit working. If it don't help at all, it going to be expensive. You get to decide how important AC is, or if you rather have an OBA system.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

good call. Is the walmart additive a universal sort? I've been reading that there are two types of coolants, one you can refill yourself and one that you're legally not supposed to...

If I got the cheap over-the-counter version, is that it? Or is there more to know?

Thank you for the reply
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 PM

Year: 1993

Is your AC r12 or has it been converted to r134? If it has not been converted you will have to convert it. I converted mine and added stop leak and oil to the refrigerant and it works fine.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jblackmon421
Is your AC r12 or has it been converted to r134? If it has not been converted you will have to convert it. I converted mine and added stop leak and oil to the refrigerant and it works fine.
Good question, I actually don't know. I don't THINK it's ever been worked on, so I'd guess the former, but that's one of the things I was hoping to research to find out. I don't know how to tell the difference... I know nothing about AC systems
Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Looks like the AC is the old r12 system... is that something I can easily swap out myself or is this a professional-only upgrade?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by kidkodiak
Looks like the AC is the old r12 system... is that something I can easily swap out myself or is this a professional-only upgrade?
there are many opinions out there about this,is your system empty at this time? I will say that you are not suppose to mix the two R-12 and R134,if you do it can cause sever damage to your compressor,you are suppose to evacuate the system and recharge it with R134 and R134 approved oil. With that said,mine was empty,almost, and I recharged it with R134 and it runs just fine and has for years. I did not evacuate it,replace seals,nothing except put the larger charge nipples on.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mixed89
there are many opinions out there about this,is your system empty at this time? I will say that you are not suppose to mix the two R-12 and R134,if you do it can cause sever damage to your compressor,you are suppose to evacuate the system and recharge it with R134 and R134 approved oil. With that said,mine was empty,almost, and I recharged it with R134 and it runs just fine and has for years. I did not evacuate it,replace seals,nothing except put the larger charge nipples on.
It has not been evacuated, however there is absolutely NO refrigerant coming out... the AC blows air every bit as warm as the regular fan with no difference, so I couldn't imagine that it's anything but empty.

That said, I don't want to blow up my compressor or something either.

Is it possible to just have a shop evacuate the system, and then do the conversion and fill with R134 myself?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by kidkodiak
It has not been evacuated, however there is absolutely NO refrigerant coming out... the AC blows air every bit as warm as the regular fan with no difference, so I couldn't imagine that it's anything but empty.

That said, I don't want to blow up my compressor or something either.

Is it possible to just have a shop evacuate the system, and then do the conversion and fill with R134 myself?
That is up to the shop,call and ask if they will. One advantage to having a shop do this is they can hold it under vacuum for 30 minuets and see if the system is tight.
If your system is empty does your electric fan come on?the fan is tied into the low pressure cutout on your a/c,if it is low your electric fan may not be working either,or you have something else going on.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Hmm, wierd, I guess I need to check that. Yes, the fan comes on whenever the AC is engaged. Maybe I'm misdiagnosing the condition then...

Thanks for that, gives me something to consider first before just trying to refill it
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

So I had the AC system evacuated, but not refilled.

(Yes, now my electric fan refuses to engage... so I want to get my AC working again for more than one reason now).

But I didn't refill it because I wasn't sure if I should find R12 cans and have the mechanic refill the orig R12 (and spend the extra money) or if I should buy the conversion to R134a and install the fittings myself and then use an over-the-counter bottle of R134 to recharge it.

Any suggestions? I've read that you have to change the oil... I don't think they drained the oil out of it, so will I hurt things if I fill it myself with R134 that self-oils when you fill it?

Thank you all