Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

knocking sound under center console

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default knocking sound under center console

I have been getting some vibes on my xj since I bought it few months back. When I could hit over 60mph I would start feeling vibes under my feet. I took out the front DS and the vibes went away. So im going to change the u-joints. Now I feel a knocking sound under my center console when I accelerate or slow down. Im thinking its the rear DS u-joints. Could it be anything else? I cant test it by removing the rear DS because I dont have my front DS in right now
Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Id try rotating tires, that fixed my vibrations.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:59 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by JasXJ
I have been getting some vibes on my xj since I bought it few months back. When I could hit over 60mph I would start feeling vibes under my feet. I took out the front DS and the vibes went away. So im going to change the u-joints. Now I feel a knocking sound under my center console when I accelerate or slow down. Im thinking its the rear DS u-joints. Could it be anything else? I cant test it by removing the rear DS because I dont have my front DS in right now
When you figure this out can you post what caused it? I've got the same thing going on right under the console. I remember someone saying loose transfer-case linkage could cause it and another recommending new u-joints. Both seem fine on my '95 but you never know.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by colt44
When you figure this out can you post what caused it? I've got the same thing going on right under the console. I remember someone saying loose transfer-case linkage could cause it and another recommending new u-joints. Both seem fine on my '95 but you never know.
Lifted the jeep up today and found the problem. The transmission mount is finished and needs to be replaced. Ill be replacing that this week. Will let you know if the knocking sound goes away. I had a transmission line leaking that I replaced last month. It was spraying trans oil all over the place. I'm thinking that is probably what caused the trans mount rubber to get soft and damaged.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0
Default front exhaust mount

Just a couple of weeks ago I repaired my exhaust (installed a working system) and all of a sudden I could hear all types of banging. My loudest knocking sound was also coming from under the center console. I found that my front exhaust mount for the cat had come loose from the transmission mount. It only took four rivets and about an hour's worth of work and the noise was gone. now I can investigate the rest of the noises. I hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Cjjcalhoun
Just a couple of weeks ago I repaired my exhaust (installed a working system) and all of a sudden I could hear all types of banging. My loudest knocking sound was also coming from under the center console. I found that my front exhaust mount for the cat had come loose from the transmission mount. It only took four rivets and about an hour's worth of work and the noise was gone. now I can investigate the rest of the noises. I hope this helps.
Thanks. I'm going to check exhaust mount today.