Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Key will not turn in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Kam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Key will not turn in ignition

I cannot get my key to turn in the ignition. One day I turned it off and the key came out of the ignition but the wheel wasn't locked. I was able to still start it without the key in. I put the key back in, jiggled it a little while moving the wheel and it turned all the way back, the wheel locked and it was normal. It's done this maybe 2 times since. The last time same issue, jiggled and turned the wheel but it turned back and would not move. I was able to turn it back for accessories though. I was finally able to get it after about an hour of picking away at the plastic cover of the column and violently turning, jiggling, rotating the key and moving the wheel back and forth. Stopped on the way home, same issue, previous method didn't work. I poked around inside the column (you can see the turning gears and mechanism from the blinker switch side now) with a gerber and randomly hit a sweet spot and pushed in while turning the key to start it. I'm getting a new ignition cylinder tomorrow to hopefully fix the issue. If this doesn't work I won't know what else to try.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

right along the top of the column, if you can stick your finger in behind the plastic dash bezel, you may feel a square block. see if you're able to pull or push it with your finger while you turn your key.

i have to do this to get mine to lock so you can't just turn it without a key.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Kam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990

The plastic wasn't removed that far up. I couldn't see the block you are talking about. I must have hit something along there though when I got it started the second time.

I installed a new ignition lock cylinder and it starts up fine now. Cost me about 20 bucks for the part and 40 bucks to rent the tools from AutoZone. I didn't see anything specific that was broke so I think the tumblers just bound up on me. There was a good collection of filings from the key being used over the years. It was all over the inside where the cylinder goes in. Thanks for the suggestion, now I am on to the next problem. I'll probably be on here again next week.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sounds like you figured it out but a while back a friend tried to steal my buddies Cherokee as a joke using an old Nissan key, it worked, but then my buddy had the same problem as you. It took just the right wiggle to start it till eventually it just plain quit working and he fixed it the same way as you. Is there a possibility that some body tried to steal your jeep at some point via old key or maybe even a screw driver?