Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

keeps Shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeps Shutting off

Got a 95 cherokee sport automatic 210k.. Drives and idles perfect.. While stopped at signal light everything is good. As soon as I touch the gas pedal it stalls.. Its starts right back up just fine. It does this 5 or 6 times then is good for a while. Seems like it happens most often after refueling. Sometimes I can feather the gas pedal and keep it from shutting off. I've Replaced the ECU, cleaned the throttle body, new IAC, new plugs, new plug wires, and new Fuel filter. The fuel filter was actually so rusted it had a hole in it. The previous owner and my best friend kept it at a full tank constantly. He said it never shut off for him. The first week I got it I let the tank almost run dry. That's when it first started shutting off. I was thinking of trying dry gas and then maybe sea foam.. But not sure I never used sea foam before and i can't afford anything else go wrong.. I have tried injector cleaner and fuel treatment.. If anyone could help me figure this out I would be greatly appreciative.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:04 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

It sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Maybe the fuel pump or even the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pump could be hesitating when you first step on it.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Check codes yet ....
Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by freegdr
Check codes yet ....
+1

I hope you got a refund on your PCM (ECU).

Also you can try testing the TPS. You need a multimeter for that. Good maintenance regardless. Make sure the vacuum tube to the MAP (runs from the throttle body to the doodad on the firewall) is intact and connected.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM

Yes I had two garages check the ecu they replaced the ecu cause they said it wasn't reading something.. I'm not worried about a refund I just tools then to do whatever.. It actually wasn't that expensive... But the second garage has it now.. I'll ask then for the codes
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 AM

I think they said there its a module or something on or near the distributor.. I haven't changed the distributor cap our rotor yet.. So we'll see what they say tmw
Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

So you started this thread to get us second guess a garage when you can't remember what they do or say and don't touch the vehicle yourself?

Lol what do you expect to gain from this?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM

Oh...Umm actually I do work on my own vehicles.. And first off I own my own business and I've been putting in 75 hours a week at work and don't have the time to try and fix it myself.. Hence the garage..Let alone answer prickish sounding questions from a person who calls them self "Salad" lol. 2ND I don't know much about the electrical end of it .. Hence the "second guessing" and forgetting the name of the part.. After all, isn't that what a forum is for? Discussing problems/issues/stories about a common subject. Third I hope to gain an answer to my current situation by again discussing my problem/issue with others who might've run into this very same thing. I've done the research and have tried a few things but nothing has worked yet. So I thought that maybe I'd post exactly what has been going on. Since my problem is a bit different then others that I've read about.. And forth if you don't like my post, don't reply.. In fact get a life.. Stop trolling my ****, stop tossin salads And Step away from computer! Which clearly is what you do all day. Its people like you that make this forum as dumb as it is..
Thanks for your time.. And good luck with that personality problem. Xoxo
Old 01-01-2014, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Happy New Year ...
Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Wow. You seem to have quite an attitude problem, that's not a good way to start off the new year.

Originally Posted by jimmyfingers85
Oh...Umm actually I do work on my own vehicles.. And first off I own my own business and I've been putting in 75 hours a week at work and don't have the time to try and fix it myself.. Hence the garage..
Dude, go back and read your posts - slowly, giving them some thought. You've already written "a module or something on or near the distributor". There are many things "on or near the distributor", including the CMP and ignition coil. They're very different and just writing "a module or something on or near the distributor" is completely useless. Best we can do is make random guesses. Posting about a problem when you're not at ALL involved in the actual troubleshooting process is not going to be productive.

Let alone answer prickish sounding questions from a person who calls them self "Salad" lol.
What's "prickish" about "test your TPS"? That's a pretty standard troubleshooting step, I can provide a writeup on how to do it if you like.

I'm glad you like my username, "jimmyfingers"!

2ND I don't know much about the electrical end of it .. Hence the "second guessing" and forgetting the name of the part.. After all, isn't that what a forum is for? Discussing problems/issues/stories about a common subject.
Again. Step back for a second and think about this. Names of parts are critical, writing "someone said there could be a problem with the thing that does stuff" could mean anything and is diagnostically useless.

And forth if you don't like my post, don't reply..
I actually did like your post, that's why I replied to this thread trying to help. Take a chill pill dude and quit taking **** the wrong way. People aren't psychic you know...

In fact get a life.. Stop trolling my ****, stop tossin salads And Step away from computer! Which clearly is what you do all day.
Actually, it is. I'm a Network Administrator for a telephone company, I provide Internet, telephone, and television service to 10,000 people. Diagnostic and troubleshooting via text and visualizing problems are the most important skills at my job.

Its people like you that make this forum as dumb as it is..
Thanks for your time.. And good luck with that personality problem. Xoxo
lol. I'm glad to see you've gotten off to such a good start here, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine... Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM

Listen I'm under a lot of stress.. never getting to see my family nor friends and working a 14 hour day on new years day is most definitely not a good start for the new year. I had to fire two pot heads from my shop.. I hadn't even noticed you had a previous post I was referring to your last post... at the point in time I read it it kinda sounded like you were just randomly saying stuff and I kinda snapped... I apologize.. I'm not a mechanic nor an electrician.. I make pizza all day. I have basic mechanical skills... I can almost fix anything other than electrical things with these Cherokees I own 3.. this is the first of this kind of issue I've had. The red neck working on it now sounds like some one from "Deliverance".. when I'm there I'm always waiting to hear banjos start playing.. Anyway I was told that he was a awesome mechanic and super cheap.. I guess I was just looking for a "hey i had the Same problem.. This is what i did." or ideas of what it could be other than ones that I've already tried. I talked to him this morning and he said something about something near the distributor.. After everything I've tried and he has tried if it still doesn't function properly.. then that's where this will come into play.. I will then post what he has done.. Via receipt. So at risk of now being way too of topic and getting this thread deleted.. Again I apologize.. No hard feelings man
Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Listen I'm under a lot of stress.. never getting to see my family nor friends and working a 14 hour day on new years day is most definitely not a good start for the new year. I had to fire two pot heads from my shop.. I hadn't even noticed you had a previous post I was referring to your last post... at the point in time I read it it kinda sounded like you were just randomly saying stuff and I kinda snapped... I apologize.. I'm not a mechanic nor an electrician.. I make pizza all day. I have basic mechanical skills... I can almost fix anything other than electrical things with these Cherokees I own 3.. this is the first of this kind of issue I've had. The red neck working on it now sounds like some one from "Deliverance".. when I'm there I'm always waiting to hear banjos start playing.. Anyway I was told that he was a awesome mechanic and super cheap.. I guess I was just looking for a "hey i had the Same problem.. This is what i did." or ideas of what it could be other than ones that I've already tried. I talked to him this morning and he said something about something near the distributor.. After everything I've tried and he has tried if it still doesn't function properly.. then that's where this will come into play.. I will then post what he has done.. Via receipt. So at risk of now being way too of topic and getting this thread deleted.. Again I apologize.. No hard feelings man

The " I had the same problem" method seldom works well as many of the same problems can be caused by different issues. That's probably why salad was asking you questions rather than throwing random "This worked for me" answers out there. He's doing the responsible thing in my opinion. Relax. And report back with the actual responses of Billy Bob from Deliverance. We'll help you.

And BTW, no sardines on my pizza and some hot pepper dressing on my salad!! LOL.

Last edited by cruiser54; 01-01-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Anyway..Back to the check for codes question...Since you have a '95 you can check the basic codes yourself with the key on-off-on-off-on method and count the check engine light flashes. See if there's anything in there.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

My money's on either a fuel pressure or Throttle Position Sensor issue.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Will do cruiser and thanks Probo I'll definitely get on that.. I'll keep everyone updated.. Might be a few days tho..

Quick Reply: keeps Shutting off