Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Keep or dump: 2001 XJ 4.0 127k

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Keep or dump: 2001 XJ 4.0 127k

I have the shop space, lifts and time. But I need to gauge if it's worth it.

Bought a 2001 XJ 4.0... The plan is to have a 2nd vehicle for light towing, in-town driving. Engine runs strong, drives well, I've put about 500 miles on since purchase. I changed the oil and added a little break fluid. That's all. I really like my first Jeep, but here's what's going on.

Engine has a clatter when cold that goes away when warm. Sounds almost like a diesel at idle. I've read it could be anything from lifters, to timing chain, rod bearings. It's NOT the flex plate. I checked that out. I've heard it's a typical sound in older 4.0s related to the short piston skirts, and not to worry about it. So this is my first concern.

The more pressing concern is the shape of the suspension, and the under rust. Jeep has more rust that I thought when I bought it. I probably overpaid with all the rusty old junk that needs to be replaced soon. Many of the mounts and brackets are rusted out. The frame is rusting, in some places worse than others. It basically needs a new suspension, front and rear. I want to invest in the Jeep, but what's the engine clatter? I'm hoping a new valve cover gasket will clear up oil leak. Start high, right?

If I was honest and disclosed the rust to a new buyer, I'd take a hit. But I don't want to F someone like I got F'ed.

What pitfalls could I get into with the rusty underside, and replacing suspension, mounts? Rusted sheet metal doesn't scare me. If I find it, I can fix it. I'm worried about the frame and critical components attached to the suspension.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

pm bimmerjeeper, he'd probably snap it right up because of the rust.
\kidding aside, take a stethsascope(sp) or a piece of tubing and check where the sound is coming from to pinpoint the problem.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Honestly if you have the time and will, you can easily fix the frame and suspension components. What exactly on the suspension is rusted out? As for the frame parts, grind it shiny, paint, weld new support (3/16 would probably be fine, I've usually just used 1/4) plates, and boom, fixed and pretty. Post some pics up and we can help you more brother
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Get rid of it. You will find that the rust is actually worse than it appears on the outside.

Besides that, your cylinder head will crack (if it hasn't already) and it will eat your engine.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

If you have a welder, the skills, time and tools, fix it! I've been battling rust on my '98 and have about 98% of it fixed. It all depends on how long you plan to keep your XJ. I want to keep mine for many years, so I invested in a welder and other tools to fix rust.

As for the engine, spend every free hour you have researching this and decide how to proceed. You can fix most lower-end engine problems with the engine in the Jeep--but definitely be wary of the 0331 head issue.