Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just picked up a 98 several questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just picked up a 98 several questions....

Hey all, after having my 90 for less than a month, I decided that I really wanted somthing newer, so I just picked up a 98 sport yesterday.

Several questions abound about cooling system, electric, and driveline.

What is the coolant fill procedure for the 98's, I replaced the stuck open thermostat last night, and did everything I know how to burp a system, but the temp gauge is still shooting up to redline in park while idling until I give it gas. When it does this, the upper hose isn't near as cool as the others, which suggests to me that the upper hose is holding a good bubble. Crusing down the road she does just fine btw.

On my 90 there was a vacuum switch that activiated the front axle...I see on my 98 that it appears they've done away with this. Am I right, or is my axle out of something else.

I see that there is NO fuel pump except the sock in the fuel tank. Has anyone out there installed an inline filter. As the truck runs good now, I'll probably wait until summer to do this, but I'm thinking I'll drop the tank, replace the sock, and while I'm in there come up with some steel lines to install a fuel filter....just wondering if anyone else has done this already...or if i'll be the guinea pig here.

Those are pretty much it for now.....i'm sure i'll be back with more questions later though.

Thanks all...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

not sure about your cooling system issues, others will reply to that. vac. diso. axles went away in the early '90s so your current axle is very likely original. and finally, unless i am mistaken, there should already be an inline fuel filter attached to the left inside frame rail just a bit in front of the fuel tank. mine has it, but mine is a '96...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Year: 1998

Thanks for the reply muddpigg...

By looking in the six filter book I'm seeing that the fuel filter for a 98 is "NS" or nt serviceable....as I've seen on someother forums...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Year: 1999

from 97 up it is in tank only
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Year: 1994

ok well if you had a stuck OPEN thermostat it would take a while for it to get up to temp, if it was stuck closed it would overheat, and most of the times to get the air out of the lines, you just start it up and let it run than take off the radiator cap that is on the top of the radiator and just run it untail all the air is out of it. takes about 10 minutes or so with the cap off.

also it might be overheating when not moving because of a bad electric fan, i had a problem with that on my 88 cherokee and just put a toggle switch to the fan and it took care of the overheating problem. since when you drive there is plenty of air flowing threw it but when sitting not enough air flows threw. hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Year: 1996

it shouldn't be too hard to work up an inline filter then, sounds like you've already been studying about it. you should post up some pictures of the install, could help someone else along the way...good luck with the cooling system.