Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just fixed my cherokee need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Just fixed my cherokee need advice

ok so for my 16th birthday I was given a free 88 cherokee (manual) with a broken radiator air filter and spark plug. Me and my dad have fixed everything and it is now running like a champ. However ever since then I have become completely love struck. And jump at any chance (or excuse) I can get to drive it.
To make matters worse I live in the mountains/woods surrounded by ideal 4x4 material. I have now committed myself to creating a savage romping beast. and have been working none stop to gain the capitol.
But since iam rather new to the whole 4x4 community I have alot of questions and I figured this would be the place to ask.

1. A number of my friends have been saying that it would be pointless to invest in such an old car and I should just scrap the idea. But as far as I can tell the 4 liter |6 is running just fine as well as everything else. Do you think their right or should I continue with my plan?

2. Ok so considering I do decide to indulge in some upgrades what would you suggest, keeping in mind a conservative budget? I was thinking along the lines of a 4' inch lift baja claws(not sure what size) and lockers for front and back.

3. Also I was told by another jeep owner that if I put lockers on ill have to get a new axel aswell. Is this true? if so what kind?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 PM

All i can say is, if your "Love Stuck" as all of us here are, keep it and build it!!!

If your 'friends' are trying to feed you with a bunch of crap, kick there a**es... or just get new friends!!!

Just remember... "He who laughs, laughs last", or something like that...
Guess who will getting them unstuck someday, ya know?

As far as upgrades are concerned, just do what your budget allows. There's no pressure here, my friend. Besides you're only 16 and it's not like your making $60K per year yet... right?

My advice... just relax and have fun with your Jeep. Your "build" will come in time!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Your friends are probably just jealous that you got a free Jeep!

If its running/driving good and not rotted all to hell then go with it.

If you have the 27 spline Chrysler 8.25 rear axle finding a locker will be difficult and you should consider upgrading to a 97+ 8.25 that will have 29 splines, will be a direct bolt in with no fab work and will have a bigger locker selection.

Other than that, take your time, build it right and have some fun with it!