Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just bought a jeep and need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default Just bought a jeep and need some help!

I just wanted to say thanks to whoever created this website because it has saved me a lot of time and money, and you are the bomb. And sorry but this might get a little long, I need help with a couple things.

The windshield wipers stopped working on the way home from the day i bought it, when it was raining. So after i got home the next day i tried to figure out the problem, but they worked. I went hunting that day and it felt like right when the mud hit the windshield, the wipers stopped working. the whole day they didn't work, until we started to come back down out of the mountains. Right when we left the mud they turned on very slowly, but they turned on.

I have been searching this site and I can't find anything about the windshield wipers/washer fluid troubleshooting.

Where is the circuit breaker for the windshield wipers on a 93 xj, standard 4wd? I looked on alldata, and it said it was in location 20 of the fuse box in the cab. there is no 20, it stops at 19. when i looked at the diagram for the relay module under the hood, there was nothing about windshield wipers. I went to napa and they had no idea either. does anybody know?

Secondly, there is a cable that hooks into my front axle that goes into the cab. The guy i bought it from said it locks the front hubs. when i try to disengage the hubs, it doesn't work. Apparently you are supposed to screw the wheel around the button clockwise until it stops, but it doesn't stop. here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a jeep and need some help!-img_0268.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM

im sorry for the double post but this picture wouldn't go on the first one. This is a picture of where the cable goes into the front axle.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a jeep and need some help!-img_0270.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

thats a PTO throttle cable set up. All you should have to do is to push on the red button and pull to engage, and to disengage just push down on the red button and the black one at the same time. turning the **** left or right was made for more or less throttle when hooked to a PTO.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Pto? what does that stand for? and when you say 'and to disengage just push down on the red button and the black one at the same time,' there is only 1 button, the red one. i can only move the black part by twisting it.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Bring
up
my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

It looks like a Posi lock cable for disconnect axles. You may find more info on there web page.

It replaces the vacum setup with the cable.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:57 PM

So I took it over to my buddys house and did some research. the website said nothing about putting the cable into the axle, only a throttle. my friend said that i could just take the cable out of the axle and drive down the road to disengage the hubs. should i listen to him or would that be a bad idea?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Your jeep does not have hubs... It has a 2 piece axle on the passenger side, when you pull on that cable it slides a collar over the 2 picese. Do alittle research on google, like look up Dana 30 disco, and go to the images so you will understand what we are saying to you.

And dont listen to your friend, he's just as confused as you are. If you take that cable out your jeep will not have 4x4 as the unjoined axle shaft spin free.

Last edited by cherokee90; 11-03-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Ok so then how can i tell if the "collar" is actually working? will my passenger wheel not spin in 4wd? I just can't find a good way to test if the cable needs to be replaced or not.