Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jerry can mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default jerry can mounts

Anybody here mount jerry cans on the outside of their XJ without using a custom, spare tire carrying rear bumper?

I have a factory bumper and a hidden hitch. I can't carry the fuel inside do to passengers (people and pets).

I am trying to come up with a way to make some sort of bracket or plate that can attach to the bumper brackets or something. I think the bumper itself is too weak to support one or two full jerry cans. I mean, I think they could tear through the thin metal if the mount was attached to the bumper itself.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

How about removing the bumper/brackets and getting a piece of 1/8 or better plate and make a backing plate to strengthen the mounting? But that brings up another issue... how would you open the hatch with the can carrier in the way? Unless it could be placed to just clear.

Common option is carrying the fuel on a roofrack, most feel it's the safest if in an accident, less chance of puncture and possible fire.

Most Cherokee's have a range of 250-300 miles, do you really need the extra 5 gallon?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
How about removing the bumper/brackets and getting a piece of 1/8 or better plate and make a backing plate to strengthen the mounting? But that brings up another issue... how would you open the hatch with the can carrier in the way? Unless it could be placed to just clear.

Common option is carrying the fuel on a roofrack, most feel it's the safest if in an accident, less chance of puncture and possible fire.

Most Cherokee's have a range of 250-300 miles, do you really need the extra 5 gallon?
Hey Overland!

I like your icon. I thought about doing what (I think) you are talking about. You mean put a plate under (behind, inside sort of) the bumper and bolt the jerry can mount to that? That's one option I'm still considering. I'd like to get it to clear, but may not be able to. I should only need to open the hatch at the beginning or end of the day so having the can in the way but available is worth that.

On the roof rack? I've never seen pictures of that. All the Jeeps I've seen with jerry cans have them on the back somewhere. Of course, this means nothing. I haven't seen every picture out there, and there are definitely many ways to skin that cat. I have a safari rack but it's got my full size spare and other misc stuff (Hi Lift, shovel, other stuff not needed very often) up there.

On the rear bumper or somewhere there just seemed like a good place since nothing else was going there.

I just wanted a bit of security since I'm moving from Ohio to Texas. If I can find a good route (scenic, etc.) there may not be any gas stations for a while. Plus, as dorky as it may sound, jerry cans strapped to the back just make it feel more like an expedition!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Thats exactly what i meant, plating the backside "clamping" the bumper between. That would spread the stress from a few bolts to a much larger area.

OK, you have a roofrack. Thats where i would carry the extra fuel if you feel you need to. Things you want to consider are keeping the cap up top, overall height down, and a big enough footprint that the can sit somewhat secure. (vs a 5gal Blitz style can)

4-6 gallons should equate to 60-90 miles... or more. Doubt you would need more than that unless on an extended backcountry trip. You'll be able to reach a gas station with that distance.

Heres what i would opt for. Cheap and run a ratchet strap through the handles to the rack and your covered.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1054_200361054

You like my avatar? I like the real thing. Check my intro thread for pic.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM

I thought we were on the same page there. That's still a major contender for what I might have to do.

If I wasn't towing a car I could just attach it to one of those hitch baskets. Hmmm, maybe I could modify a hitch basket to clamp around the receiver. I doubt it, because then I would not be able to open the hatch. It would have to be the kind of basket that comes up, and not straight out from the receiver. I'll have to think about that.

You're right there. Even if the mileage were 50 to 70 towing a vehicle one gerry can would be enough.

I'll check out your intro post.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Reinforce your bumper so you can boolt a basket, where the top of the basket is flush with the top of your bumper then weld two eye hooks where you can run a bungie cord over the can to hold it down. That let you move the can to open the hatch.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by finneys98xj
Reinforce your bumper so you can boolt a basket, where the top of the basket is flush with the top of your bumper then weld two eye hooks where you can run a bungie cord over the can to hold it down. That let you move the can to open the hatch.
Thanks for the suggestion Finney! Not a bad idea.