Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep wont start need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Jeep wont start need help please

Everything was fine yesterday till this morning when I went to start my jeep up. It just went click (starter). Then I tried again and rolled over and over prolly 15 times then fired up.
Drove around ran errands started right up every time till at 1:30pm she just clicked clicked or wouldn't do anything when I turned the key. (fuel pump and that **** did its priming )
So I figured my starter was ****( just replaced it 8 months ago) so I pulle the starter thinking it was that got another one from advance auto bolted it in( I cleaned the connectors for the starter) and it just clicks pings clicks. It won't turn the engine over or anything. I'm stumped. I checked fuses and relays swapped them around nothing seems to work.

I need some help. Thanks guys

P.s sorry I haven't been in in a while got some updated pics of the jeep woohoo
Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L STRAIGHT six

Stupid question time, good shiny connections? Also it could be one of your battery cables going south. My buddy had an Exploder that this happened to, called me that it wont start at wawa i go over there try cranking it multiple times and one time it just started up Ended up being the positive battery cable. Not sure if this can be tested but might be worth while. Good luck to you

P.S. sorry about that starter!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM

I too have had cables go bad inside the connections.

Hit em with a big gob of grease and see if it turns over.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM

I turn the key to on the jeep primes and gets ready for start. Then I turn the key to start and it will ether do nothing and all accessories kick off while you try to start it and the brake light comes on. But as of the click. It will give a big click clunk noise 1 or 2 times.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM

I'm just lost. Jeep was doing great and this just came from know-where
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Year: 1998

How old is the battery? Could have a dead cell or two, or more. Try putting it on a charger for the night and see if it fires right up in the morning. That, or jump it with another vehicle and see what happens.

Dead batteries can make for starting issues on all kinds of different vehicles. Vehicles don't like much less than 12 volts when trying to start. My money is on a bad battery personally...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by zimdogg
How old is the battery? Could have a dead cell or two, or more. Try putting it on a charger for the night and see if it fires right up in the morning. That, or jump it with another vehicle and see what happens.

Dead batteries can make for starting issues on all kinds of different vehicles. Vehicles don't like much less than 12 volts when trying to start. My money is on a bad battery personally...
My battery is only a few months old. I bought a auto craft gold battery 1,000 cranking amps. ( when I worked at advance auto).
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Cables can go bad inside the sheathing, burn/corrosion whatever. Try possibly wiggling the cables a bit(one at a time) while someone tries to start it. Keep any body parts you want to hold onto away from the belt and fan.

I don't really know an easy way to load test the cables without going through more trouble than just replacing them...Make sure your battery is up to par and trace down any ground cables and look for bad grounds. Although unlikely it is possible the new starter is bad.

I had a mechanic replace an alternator in my ford probe with one I supplied(bought from autozone) spent plenty on labor and turns out it was a bad alternator. I had the mechanic remove it have being towed home and returned it to autozone, before leaving I had them test the new one. They argued, but finally did it and the one I was about to leave with was bad right out of the box. Third one tested fine and worked until I sold the car.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

sounds like a corroded battery cable had the same problem with my old chevy
Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I would start by checking your battery and cables. Even if your batter is only a couple of months old it can still have a bad cell or two. I had to buy a battery about 6 months ago and a month latter had to take it back, It had 3 bad cells in it.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM

I'll check on stuff tomorrow morning. Anymore ideas you guys have so I'll wake up to more info?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I would start by checking your battery and cables. Even if your batter is only a couple of months old it can still have a bad cell or two. I had to buy a battery about 6 months ago and a month latter had to take it back, It had 3 bad cells in it.

Good luck.

That's why I buy the 3 year walmart batteries. You buy one you never have to again. They die so easily, sometime within the 3 year warranty it is going to fail and you get to take it back and start your warranty all over again with another one. Even if it's still going and starting your vehicle chances are after 3 years if you take it in regardless, it probably won't have the charge in the required threshold to pass.

I agree though, battery testing is free at most places and even if it has a charge to turn on accessories it may not be putting out the amperage required to turn your motor over or possibly even initialize your starter. Tests will uncover this.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Year: 94'

If you have a multi-meter, try and check the resistance on the batt. wires or any other major connections.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

If you meter the voltage right on the pos solenoid terminal, it should stay about the same, just guessing, say within 1/2 a volt, of what the battery is doing when you crank it. If it tanks the cable isn't passing the current. Also a wire or connection with excessive resistance makes heat. (a wire or cable that is fine will also get hot if it's trying to pass more than it's rated for, (of course!))
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Starting to work on it now. Let you know where I get

Quick Reply: Jeep wont start need help please