Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jeep wont run!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default jeep wont run!!

ok guys, im at my wits end with my jeep. here's a little back ground: 90 xj 4.0 ran great, only problem i ever had is it would die from time to time and then would start right back up and run fine again. Fast forward----> Jeep sat for 2 months, not enough time for wheeling, and wouldnt start. Would crank no fire. Finally got it to run and then as soon as i would hit the gas to pull out of the yard it would die, then would start again for 30 mins to 1 hr. Replaced CPS: no help, Replaced TPS, fuel pump, plugs, cap, rotor: no help. Took to shop, they replaced coil and dist: wouldnt run. They told me it was the computer, replaced that: wont run still. Is there something that my research hasnt shown me to fix this problem. It seems to flood itself when it dies and always smells like fuel when it does. Please someone help.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by 90xjlocked
ok guys, im at my wits end with my jeep. here's a little back ground: 90 xj 4.0 ran great, only problem i ever had is it would die from time to time and then would start right back up and run fine again. Fast forward----> Jeep sat for 2 months, not enough time for wheeling, and wouldnt start. Would crank no fire. Finally got it to run and then as soon as i would hit the gas to pull out of the yard it would die, then would start again for 30 mins to 1 hr. Replaced CPS: no help, Replaced TPS, fuel pump, plugs, cap, rotor: no help. Took to shop, they replaced coil and dist: wouldnt run. They told me it was the computer, replaced that: wont run still. Is there something that my research hasnt shown me to fix this problem. It seems to flood itself when it dies and always smells like fuel when it does. Please someone help.
If its flooding then maybe your gettin to much gas and your fuel pressure regulator is gone bad
Maybe cruiser54 or something will chime in there awesome ull get it solved
Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Good chance your replacement CPS is bad. seen it before. Test it like this:

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it’s mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won’t fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 11-29-2011
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Good chance your replacement CPS is bad. seen it before. Test it like this:

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn't generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won't start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That's a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It's worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it's mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won't fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 11-29-2011
Does drilling the holes out really do anything would it give a faster start up or anything
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by stev-o
Does drilling the holes out really do anything would it give a faster start up or anything
Yes it can. Test yours first and post the results. We'll go from there.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Yes it can. Test yours first and post the results. We'll go from there.
I don't know if I want to drill it out because I just bought it yesterday and I don't want to void the warranty
Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM

I don't know if I want to drill it out because I just bought it yesterday and I don't want to void the warranty
Then put it on and test it. We'll go from there. Where did you buy it? What country is it made in?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Then put it on and test it. We'll go from there. Where did you buy it? What country is it made in?
Mines from autozone it has a lifetime warranty that ive already used once I dont know were it was made off hand
Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Mines from autozone it has a lifetime warranty that ive already used once I dont know were it was made off hand
Here's a thought. Perhaps "lifetime" warranty means you're gonna spend the rest of your lifetime changing those crappy sensors? You've replaced it once already and this is a warranty replacement?

Up to you, but if you put it on, test the output voltage per my instructions.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Here's a thought. Perhaps "lifetime" warranty means you're gonna spend the rest of your lifetime changing those crappy sensors? You've replaced it once already and this is a warranty replacement?

Up to you, but if you put it on, test the output voltage per my instructions.
This is my second because the first melted on the exhaust after a month because I didn't zip tie it back... But that's my own fault
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM

This is my second because the first melted on the exhaust after a month because I didn't zip tie it back... But that's my own fault
Did they warranty the one with the melted wires?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Did they warranty the one with the melted wires?
Yes no questions asked
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Yes no questions asked
Then why are you worried about drilling the holes out?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Then why are you worried about drilling the holes out?
I just wanted to know if I could get a better start up time from it
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM

I just wanted to know if I could get a better start up time from it
I thought you were worried about the warranty if you drilled the holes out.

Quick Reply: jeep wont run!!