Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Questions

Hello im new to the whole off road thing. Im going to be a soph. in highschool this year. I don't have a Jeep yet but will be getting a Cherokee. I amgoing to put a lift on it when I have money. I won't be doing hard to any wheeling, i just want a lift in case i do some. Would one of these two rusty's kits work? I will be on a really tight budget. The reason I am thinking of one of these kits is the wheels and tires come with them and save me the headache of look for some and cause they aren't too expensive.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan..._Code=WHEELS10

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan..._Code=WHEELS10
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

well if its only going to be a weekend warrior IMO you dont need a 6.5...and with the 4.5 your going to want to factor an sye into your budget....but back to your original question rustys sells decent kits everyone i know that runs them like them....but id keep your options open
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

First and foremost, welcome to the forum.

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend finding a jeep club. I don't know what is in your area, but there are some pretty cool folk on this forum from Iowa, so introduce yourself on the wheeling neighborhood secion and see if others can help with advice and maybe even parts.

If you're really on a tight budget and you're not going to wheel, I'd recommend a 3" lif. You can run 31s and many here have very capable rigs at that elevation. a 3" lift is also cheaper and it looks great.

s
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sounds like you want it for Looks. If you are truly just wanted in for wheelin. Go with the 3 in lift kit, You can run 31's with no regearing, Usually no Sye and it will be a more than capable rig for what you want. It won't look huge but it will run great and take you everywhere. Then once you figure out if you like wheelin or not long term you can invest in bigger lifts. Because bigger than 3inches of lift you run in to a lot of EXTRAs you have to buy for it to run right, straight and without vibes.

Also Shop on CL for wheels and tires. You can always find people ditching there 30's and 31's to go bigger which would be perfect for a 3 in lift. I have two very capable Jeeps and I have spent VERY LITTLE money on them. The only thing I really splurged on was the 3in lift kits at 450 apiece through Rough Country. Heck I even got an award for my Wifes rig. Pic below.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM

ok so ive got some more questions, my dad doesn't think that i should get any lift for my future jeep, He thinks i will have issues with the axles and hurting the engine with the gears in it, the transmission, the transfer case, and with the speedometer reading wrong. I have done reasearch and u can change a little gear in the speedometer to get it correct i right? Any imput on the others would be great.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Depends on the tire. I have yet to change my speedo gear due to only having 30's. With my GPS I am about 5mph off at 55MPH. So I am going 60 when it says 55 and i just always keep that in mind when driving.

As far as messing up your axles. Well That won't happen from simply lifting a vehicle.

As long as you don't go too big too quick you won't have problems running your wheels on the engine and tranny. If you go bigger than 31's then yes you will put a lot more strain on your engine and tranny to turn the bigger tires. That is when I would choose to regear the Diffs.

Like I said in my earlier post you can do 3in and 31's without much more modification (track bar relocation and steering alignment) and you can have a blast wheeling it.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:27 PM

k thanks now i gotta show him this thread lol
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

yeah if your looking for looks and small fire roads and camping trips 3" is great and deffinately buy used tires off craigslist and to save more money just use stock rims you'll have slight rubbing with stock rims but just re-adjust your driving and you'll be fine...or do a budget boost from rustys its coil spacers and leaf shackles and you can run 30's with same shocks and everything...