Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Newb

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Jeep Newb

Good Morning,
Let me start by thanking you in advance for your responses. I'm confident that your combined experience will help me solve the few riddles this new XJ is throwing my way.

Purchased a 1999 Cherokee Classic last Friday from a local used car lot. Overall the XJ is in pretty good condition. Granted I expected some issues and knew about the ones I need help with prior to buying. I have spent the last week driving her and doing things that I feel will make her more dependable, as she will be my childrens means of transportation back and forth to highschool. They liked the bodystyle, I liked the fact that it was something I can do most repairs to myself without a dealer or mechanic.

So far I have changed:
Battery and terminals
2 Tires ( had 2 new on the rear already)
U Joints
Fr. Rotors and Pads
Oil and Filter
Tailshaft Seal
Thermostat
Valve Cover Gasket
Greased all the ball joints ect.
Pressure washed the underside and under hood (old valve cover looked to be leaking for some time)

I paid $2100. for her with 155k on the odometer. The XJ is 2wd and the only options I don't see are a sunroof, heated mirrors, heated seats, tow package and a power passenger seat.

I knew when I bought her that the drivers window gear was making noise, the driving lights did not work and the power locks did not function.

I have searched here as well as some other forums for the answers and troubleshooting tips to solve these issues and am more confused than when I started. LOL

As it turns out, the windows only work from the drivers door main switch not their individual switches regardless of the window lock button position.
This leads me to believe the switch is bad.
Opinions?

I read somewhere in my searches that there is a possibility that when the aftermarket radio was installed the driving lights might have become unplugged and will check that today. The switch does not even appear to be lit up.

The more serious of the issues is the locks. I have read about alot of issues with these with no clear solution.
When I began looking into the issue I found the #15 25a fuse to be missing and thought I had solved the problem. When I installed the fuse I heard an audible click as all the doors locked.
I thought I was lucky but upon trying the buttons nothing happened.
I checked all the fuses with a test light and have power. I checked the #28 25a curcuit breaker/relay on the fuse box by exchanging it with#29
(power seat breaker/relay) as they are the same amperage. The power seat works with either one installed, which leads me to believe that breaker/relay is good.
I have checked the switch itself for continuity as well as the plug where it attaches to the actuator.
I pulled the harness out of the door and through the jamb into the drivers floor area and removed all the tape inspecting it for any signs of damage. No flat spots, pinched wires, splices.
I have checked the blue plug. Pins #7 & #11, lock and unlock respectively, using #8 as a ground. I have power on #11 but nothing on #7. I assume I should have power on both pins.

I have not removed the passenger door panel yet and I can find no other relay for the locks.
I can not find any info on the fender mounted fuse box under the hood. No owners guide came with the XJ.

Anything else I am missing?
Once again, Thanks in advance for you combined experience and help.

Last edited by blown455sd; 07-21-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by blown455sd
Good Morning,
Let me start by thanking you in advance for your responses. I'm confident that your combined experience will help me solve the few riddles this new XJ is throwing my way.

Purchased a 1999 Cherokee Classic last Friday from a local used car lot. Overall the XJ is in pretty good condition. Granted I expected some issues and knew about the ones I need help with prior to buying. I have spent the last week driving her and doing things that I feel will make her more dependable, as she will be my childrens means of transportation back and forth to highschool. They liked the bodystyle, I liked the fact that it was something I can do most repairs to myself without a dealer or mechanic.

So far I have changed:
Battery and terminals
2 Tires ( had 2 new on the rear already)
U Joints
Fr. Rotors and Pads
Oil and Filter
Tailshaft Seal
Cap and Rotor
Wires and Plugs
Thermostat
All water hoses
Valve Cover Gasket
Greased all the ball joints ect.
Pressure washed the underside and under hood (old valve cover looked to be leaking for some time)

I paid $2100. for her with 155k on the odometer. The XJ is 2wd and the only options I don't see are a sunroof, heated mirrors, heated seats, tow package and a power passenger seat.

I knew when I bought her that the drivers window gear was making noise, the driving lights did not work and the power locks did not function.

I have searched here as well as some other forums for the answers and troubleshooting tips to solve these issues and am more confused than when I started. LOL

As it turns out, the windows only work from the drivers door main switch not their individual switches regardless of the window lock button position.
This leads me to believe the switch is bad.
Opinions?

I read somewhere in my searches that there is a possibility that when the aftermarket radio was installed the driving lights might have become unplugged and will check that today. The switch does not even appear to be lit up.

The more serious of the issues is the locks. I have read about alot of issues with these with no clear solution.
When I began looking into the issue I found the #15 25a fuse to be missing and thought I had solved the problem. When I installed the fuse I heard an audible click as all the doors locked.
I thought I was lucky but upon trying the buttons nothing happened.
I checked all the fuses with a test light and have power. I checked the #28 25a curcuit breaker/relay on the fuse box by exchanging it with#29
(power seat breaker/relay) as they are the same amperage. The power seat works with either one installed, which leads me to believe that breaker/relay is good.
I have checked the switch itself for continuity as well as the plug where it attaches to the actuator.
I pulled the harness out of the door and through the jamb into the drivers floor area and removed all the tape inspecting it for any signs of damage. No flat spots, pinched wires, splices.
I have checked the blue plug. Pins #7 & #11, lock and unlock respectively, using #8 as a ground. I have power on #11 but nothing on #7. I assume I should have power on both pins.

I have not removed the passenger door panel yet and I can find no other relay for the locks.
I can not find any info on the fender mounted fuse box under the hood. No owners guide came with the XJ.

Anything else I am missing?
Once again, Thanks in advance for you combined experience and help.
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the Jeep. I'm glad that you're making the effort to make it nice again.

Windows - Replace the noisy regulator (cheap e-bay regs work great) and the switch. I've had the window lock switch give me troubles in the past. That's the only link between all the other windows.

Driving lights - There is a good possibility that it's unplugged but I'm not that lucky. It's a pretty simple circuit. You could easily trace it with a diagram.

Locks - Without my diagrams I'm not going to be of much help here right now. There's a lot that could be askew. I'll do a bit of looking and get back to you.

Edit: Do the locks work from the passenger side switch? They seem to operate independently. If neither of them work I would lock between the fuse box and the switches for your problem.

Name:  96XJPowerDoorSchematicwoKeyless.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by Lowrange2; 07-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

As far as the running lights go, if the dimmer circuit was wired up to the aftermarket rasio it will blow the fuse for the running lights. A simple snip of the orange (I think) wire at the back of the radio will take care of it.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Here is something you may want to look at for the windows.
Good luck with the repairs.
Here is a link on how to bypass the switch. But, Just don't use a paper clip as showed jumper it with wire and elect. fittings instead.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wind...working-13287/
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Neither switch works , wiring diagram provided is for XJ without keyless. This model has Keyless
Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
As far as the running lights go, if the dimmer circuit was wired up to the aftermarket rasio it will blow the fuse for the running lights. A simple snip of the orange (I think) wire at the back of the radio will take care of it.

I'll look into it today, Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Window lock bypass worked great.
Have not looked into the driving lamp issue.
Still have the lock issue as mention in my 1st post.

Today I did:

Trans Filter & Fluid
Diff Service
Cap, Rotor, Wires
Upper and Lower Rad Hoses
Window Lock Bypass

Shattered the dang fan shoud. I hear thats common.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

First, I'd like to offer a HUGE thank you to you, blown455sd, for:

1) Buying a Cherokee
2) Being a hands-on type of owner
3) Stating your case and issues fully and clearly, with accompanying information that we would need to help you with your issues. Hell, your sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, and grammar alone place you in the upper tiers on this forum!

Many of us get so tired of seeing something to the effect of:

"hey you guys i need help i bought this jeep from my cousin who sayd it was all good but he lied and i dont no what too do cuz it just wont start and i tried everything n i need help n serchin the forums didnt do know good. thanks for your help!!!!!!"

I digress...

On the driving lights, those switches are known for getting a bit hot and either shorting out and/or melting a bit inside so that the sliding contact points no longer touch or remain in alignment. There is a spring-loaded contact plate in there, and sometimes the springs get a bit dirty and sticky. Disassembling the switch is a fairly straight forward affair for anyone handy with tools. Just take the two bulbs out of the switch, and pry up the plastic retaining clips on the top and bottom to take it all apart. Once inside you'll be able to see what you've got. Watch for those little springs behind the contact plate. They're small little buggers and easy to lose. Sometimes a quick cleaning with an old toothbrush, some contact cleaner and a bit of 400 grit sandpaper is all you need to be back in business. If it looks to be severely melted, just source a new switch at the stealership or junk yard.

On your locks, I don't know if it will be exactly the same, but I have the factory service manual for my 98. If you look under my profile in one of my albums, you'll see two screen captures of the wiring diagrams for the locks, and they include the keyless ceiling module.

Good luck to you!!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by macgyver35
First, I'd like to offer a HUGE thank you to you, blown455sd, for:

1) Buying a Cherokee
2) Being a hands-on type of owner
3) Stating your case and issues fully and clearly, with accompanying information that we would need to help you with your issues. Hell, your sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, and grammar alone place you in the upper tiers on this forum!

Many of us get so tired of seeing something to the effect of:

"hey you guys i need help i bought this jeep from my cousin who sayd it was all good but he lied and i dont no what too do cuz it just wont start and i tried everything n i need help n serchin the forums didnt do know good. thanks for your help!!!!!!"

I digress...

On the driving lights, those switches are known for getting a bit hot and either shorting out and/or melting a bit inside so that the sliding contact points no longer touch or remain in alignment. There is a spring-loaded contact plate in there, and sometimes the springs get a bit dirty and sticky. Disassembling the switch is a fairly straight forward affair for anyone handy with tools. Just take the two bulbs out of the switch, and pry up the plastic retaining clips on the top and bottom to take it all apart. Once inside you'll be able to see what you've got. Watch for those little springs behind the contact plate. They're small little buggers and easy to lose. Sometimes a quick cleaning with an old toothbrush, some contact cleaner and a bit of 400 grit sandpaper is all you need to be back in business. If it looks to be severely melted, just source a new switch at the stealership or junk yard.

On your locks, I don't know if it will be exactly the same, but I have the factory service manual for my 98. If you look under my profile in one of my albums, you'll see two screen captures of the wiring diagrams for the locks, and they include the keyless ceiling module.

Good luck to you!!

Thank you.

I have been wrenching on things for the better part of 33 years. I chose the Cherokee because I felt it was something that I could put my experiences to good use on. It's not so complicated that I need to seek a mechanic everytime something breaks. Most of my experience is on GM A-bodies. My current long term project is a 72' Lemans Sport Convertible with the GTO option Endura front end.
If I remember correctly the 98' & 99' differ in the wiring in that the 99' no longer has a "Body Control Module" in the passenger door. But that's just information I picked up in the last week since owning the XJ.
I appreciate the kind words and look forward to contributing here as my knowledge base grows.