Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep hesitate to run anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep hesitate to run anymore.

Hi guys,
I have a 1999 Cherokee classic 4.0L. 180k. Suddenly last week it started running like it need a major tune up. Few more miles after the engine light went on and it hesitates every time I hit the gas. Now, starting is very difficult and it wont run anymore but once it did, I tried running around the block and it sounded like "Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang" It wont even reach a top speed of 5mph. I ask a mechanic neighbor of mine, said to junk the Jeep its not worth fixing. I have no idea but I rely on the jeep to move stuffs a lot. The body has no rust, new set of tires and before this event it still runs smooth.
I know this is very hard to diagnose especially online but someone here might have the same experience. Please help or advise. Thank you - Gerry
Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

dunno about the problem but tell that mechanic to F off he is a retard haha....
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

yeah, doesnet sound like a good mechaic if he is telling to junk it, what a jerk. check it for codes, check fuel pressure, then check spark. I once had a car do that for me, it was loose spark plug wires. Not worth junking over a stupid problem
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Now i tell this to everybody. My buddy had a 2001 and the same thing, it started to run rougher and rougher until it would start anymore. It wasnt getting spark, and it ended up being the infamous CPS (Crank Shaft Position Sensor). and yes these sensors can just start going out slowly and get worse, or can just totally quit.

After doing working on my truck at one time i accidentally yanked on the wire that goes to the CPS which is bolted to the bell housing. The truck wouldn't start,it wasnt getting spark, so i replaced the CPS, and she was golden

Alot of the time when these jeeps just start running like crap its 85% a stupid sensor. Unfortunatly the sensor is like $100, but its only 2 bolts and a wire connector, Im not saying this is your problem deffenetly but look into it.

And dont junk it, im sure its somthing stupid before you do anything drastic.

-Mike
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rough Engine

Don't get rid of the Jeep. After a couple years you will learn to work around the quirks. I've got 288k on mine and it runs like a champ. Change the oil and don't overheat.
Yes the CPS is a common culprit. I keep an extra one under the seat. It can degrade slowly or outright fail. Classic symptom of cranking but no start, or studdering while driving and then quitting.

One other hint, check the fuel pressure. I just replace my fuel pump. It was running rough and would not go more than 20mph. The fuel pump was no good and the engine was starving from low fuel pressure.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Check this link out refer to the OBDII section pull the code(s) report back with your findings http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719