Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep differential gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep differential gone bad?

First let me say im not so mechanically inclined however i do basic things like oil changes and brake services on my vehicles. So i know some basic terminology.

Ive been experiencing an odd clicking almost grabbing noise/feeling in the front end of my 2001 cherokee sport. My neighbor jacked it up for me yesterday and determined the noise is coming from the play in my front driveshaft. He mentioned it was because it was never serviced and the gears in my differential are toast.
Does this sound accurate?
I asked him what this should cost and he kinda gave me that "alot" look but didnt go into detail.
Im gunna take it to my parents mechanic tomorrow who my dad says "gives good prices" but i wanted to know what a good price is on a differential job? What would be my best option? I know it varies but any details would be greatly appreciated.

He also said my ball joints/u-joints are nice and tight but that i should change my control arm bushings and something on the idler arms as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 86 suburban that needs a rearend called a shop that does them as not all shops do its a specialty thing and was quoted 1200 thats for new bearings seals and a posi unit. Needless to say im gonna find a used one in good shap Which is a lot cheaper. Can find a used one for 150-200
Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by byrns149
First let me say im not so mechanically inclined however i do basic things like oil changes and brake services on my vehicles. So i know some basic terminology.

Ive been experiencing an odd clicking almost grabbing noise/feeling in the front end of my 2001 cherokee sport. My neighbor jacked it up for me yesterday and determined the noise is coming from the play in my front driveshaft. He mentioned it was because it was never serviced and the gears in my differential are toast.
Does this sound accurate?
I asked him what this should cost and he kinda gave me that "alot" look but didnt go into detail.
Im gunna take it to my parents mechanic tomorrow who my dad says "gives good prices" but i wanted to know what a good price is on a differential job? What would be my best option? I know it varies but any details would be greatly appreciated.

He also said my ball joints/u-joints are nice and tight but that i should change my control arm bushings and something on the idler arms as well.

Could just be a pinion bearing, to know for sure you would need to pull the diff cover to inspect for damage or excessive metal shavings in the fluid. If you just need new bearings expect to pay around $500 at a shop to replace all the bearings and reset the gears (even if only one bearing is bad the diff has to come apart and the cost is about 90% labor so it is best to replace them all), if you need gears too you'd be looking at an additional $200-250 in parts (so figure around $750 or so for bearings and gears, maybe $1000 if the shop charges high labor rates). Alternatively a good used front axle will generally run you $150-$200 at the junkyard and is probably you best bet if you have stock gears.