Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep died

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep died

1990 jeep cherokee driving thru an intersection. Not gonna lie i was getting on her i was testing my new alternator to see if my gages would go dim or not. And out of no where my car completely shut off. My temp gage was running 210 right in the middle. And i have my electric fan ran to a switch but i was going fast. The cold air was circulating thru my radiator. I have a lil leak in my radiator. I keep my fluid topped off. But since i have the renix cooling system maybe theres something to do with pressure? Or maybe theres a draw or short somewhere on my vehicle. But my car which idles pretty nicely all day just shuts off... Possibly a vacuum leak causing too much air into the engine? Because i got on it!! Than let off and it died... I know without specific details it literally could be anything. but any help out there would be much appreciated thank you.. And its never done this before.also at 45mph and above at a steady throttle it hums high and low really weird. Thought the new alt would fix it but no.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Check for fuel and good spark.

Got some starting fluid? Squirt a tad right into the open throttle body and give her a crank see if it fires, runs a bit, and dies.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Check for fuel and good spark.

Got some starting fluid? Squirt a tad right into the open throttle body and give her a crank see if it fires, runs a bit, and dies.
Oh no i polled to the side of the road and put in park.fired right up just ran kinda ****ty on the way home .but i just started it up an its back to normal im just wondering wtf happened???
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Could be quite a few things, really.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by grat134
Oh no i polled to the side of the road and put in park.fired right up just ran kinda ****ty on the way home .but i just started it up an its back to normal im just wondering wtf happened???
There has been a couple of times over the years where my jeep just died suddenly but then started right back up. If you just replaced parts or have had an over heating or air delivery problem in the past I would start checking for other symptoms.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88 limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Right now my 88 is in my drive way not runnable, fuel pump will not turn on or prime . It turned out to be the ignition switch having an intermittent open on the run side of the switch. But there are a lot of things that can cause the same problem.