Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Completely Dead- Why?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Completely Dead- Why?

I know, I know. Another alternator post. But I'm open to suggestions. Thing is a lot of my tools are in boxes and I haven't had much time to mess with everything to figure this out. But I will provide the details I do know as followed:

Now: I originally thought I killed the battery since I got in the jeep and it is completely dead, all electrical gone, no clicking, no turning over, nothing. I bought a charger (other vehicle currently in middle of engine replacement) and it said the battery was pretty much full but then another time I looked at it said halfway charged? After letting it sit for a while (1hr? with 12v charge) and tried to start it again with no luck. Any suggestions? I'm thinking wiring/connection issues. Haven't tried fuses yet. Like I said I honestly haven't had time to look at the little stuff.

Thank you in advance!!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Remove battery cables, clean them and battery posts until shiny. Connections are often the cause of this type of problem. Have your battery "load tested" at a parts store if any question.

2. Verify all fuses, both in the kick panel and in the power distribution center (more likely) the black box under the hood on the passenger side

3. Grounds, grounds grounds. Here's more on them..

Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

I just had the same issue today, except my Jeep would get power, but when I would go to turn the key and start it, everything would die. Check ALL your battery cables for corrosion, for this was my issue. One corroded cable running to the starter wasn't pulling enough amps and wouldn't let it turn over. If your going to replace your cables, go for something thicker than stock, such as 4 gauge, and as stated by tjwalker, check those grounds! make sure the cables aren't corroded and get some steel wool and clean all the ends and terminals as well as the posts on the batteries with some steel wool. Hopefully this is your problem, and we can lead you in the right direction to fix her up.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 AM

I guess my computer does not understand the concept of 'select all', 'copy'. I had written a little "past" section but for whatever reason it did not paste and I just noticed. I'm not sure if its entirely relevant based on what you guys are suggesting buttt... just FYI I guess.

The battery is relatively new, replaced in june/july. The terminals are new as well. The starter & ignition switch are new too. But one good tid bit of info that may be vital: This jeep has been touchy before with wiring. I've had to re-adjust the positive cable as it wasn't making the proper connections in the terminal which caused us to think something was going on with the starter. Since it was re-adjusted it has been fine but this is definitely one of my top priorities to check. I jiggled this cable but didn't get into removing it & such. This jeep has also had some whacky readings for the battery which is why I originally said alternator post. It has randomly jolted up to high readings on the dash & showed the check gauges light then at other times has gone down to low readings & shown the warning but I've noticed those low times are usually when I have the heat running & am idling. It has only done this a handful of times though. So I know the alternator is probably bad but unsure if its entirely related here. That's why I'm thinking connections like you guys are suggesting as well. Just in case there's something in there that could point to something else to check.

I'm finally getting my third vehicle back from the shop today so hopefully will get some progress done today after work! My little *****y jeep decided she was going to do this right after I had dropped the other vehicle off for repairs. She's a vengeful *****, ha!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:15 PM

OK. Finally have time to get dirty with this thing. I checked the fuses and as best I can tell they look good. I fought a few of them out to really get a good look. I can't really tell how good/bad my wiring is. They have those plastic ring protection things. I'm trying to find all my grounds using a post from another forum but am not familiar where all of them are. I'd have to start a whole new at adventure if wiring does need to go. Doesn't look as simple as it sounded.

This is the website I'm using: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245993828&postcount=6

Where is the G106? Underneath by starter??