Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee Starting Problem

So here's the situation:

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 Door with V6.

170,000 miles.

New battery and alternator within 6 months. Battery cables are solid and cleaned and attached well.

For the last two-two and a half months, i've had a problem with starting the car. The car will start fine cold usually, then not start again after I drive it a bit. I wait, turn the key a few times, and it will kick over. After a while, I realized if I revved the engine a bit as I was in park when I was done with the car, the car was a lot more likely to start.

Check Engine light is on, but that's been on for years.

Well, Saturday I started the car, parked it a few minutes later, and it has not started since. I've taken it to a mechanic in Jersey City several times, and the guy - who has great reviews on Yelp and who I trust - has told me basically that until the thing wont turn over period, its hard to really determine the problem.

I dropped the car off yesterday and they havent found the problem yet, but they just started taking a look today. I'll be frank - i'm clueless about cars, but I'd really like to keep this Jeep running for another year if I can.

Suggestions?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ttg7ya

Check Engine light is on, but that's been on for years.

Suggestions?
Yes!! Retrieve the codes and use that as an initial road map to fix the problem.

Your Jeep is trying to tell you something with the check engine light. Use the technology provided to you by your Jeep. Codes are absolutely invaluable in troubleshooting. Anything else besides using the codes and some solid testing is pure guesswork.

Ignoring a check engine light is not a good idea as down the line when you get another problem (which may be the case here) you now have to figure out if the original code is involved with your current symptoms. Diagnosing one problem is tough enough, much less two.

Chase and resolve every check engine light. Always. I'd like to think that is the way the technician at the shop you chose is addressing this.

Keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 11-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 Door with V6.
Just so you know, your Jeep doesn't have a V6.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Just off the top of my head, here are a few things.

1 - YES! Check that code. Easy, simple, and straight to the point. may just be an O2 sen., but its a sart.

2 - if it would shut off hot, then only start when cooled down is a sign of sensor issues. basically the sensor has over heated and will not function till cooled off. as a result, they will burn out and fail all together.

3 - the issue you have explained sounds like a CPS problem. somewhat common, but not on newer moddels as much.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Hey guys,

First, thanks to the gentleman who reminded me that my 01 Cherokee has an in-line six instead of a V-6. I suppose my statement "I dont know much about cars" wasnt sufficiently clear

Second, diagnosis from mechanic was fried neutral safety switch. Car is starting fine. We'll see!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Hey guys, First, thanks to the gentleman who reminded me that my 01 Cherokee has an in-line six instead of a V-6. I suppose my statement "I dont know much about cars" wasnt sufficiently clear Second, diagnosis from mechanic was fried neutral safety switch. Car is starting fine. We'll see!
Please don't call it a car. It hurts some people deep down inside when you do that.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 PM

I deserved that