Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee Sport Blower Motor Connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Hop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee Sport Blower Motor Connector

Greets everyone!

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L straight six and had intermittent issues with the blower connector. I would press on it and the blower would start running again, sometimes for months, then would just stop. Rinse repeat.

Now that bandaid fix doesn't work anymore, so I am finally getting around to replacing the connector and I cannot find it anywhere. Could someone recommend a parts supplier that sells this? Or a fix would be cool too.

I've checked rockauto, o'reilly's, autozone, and partsgeek.

Thank you for your time!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 PM

Im not sure if the wiring to your blower motor is the same as mine (87) but if its just a simple connector, i would just use some bullet connectors like these
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=297119_0_0_

Last edited by Mossy500; 08-21-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
Old 08-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8

or wire nuts.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Hop

Originally Posted by Mossy500
Im not sure if the wiring to your blower motor is the same as mine (87) but if its just a simple connector, i would just use some bullet connectors like these
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=297119_0_0_
I haven't taken the connector off yet but I suspected it was of the 'blade' type so I was going to use a pair of high-current blade connectors as a last resort. I hadn't considered that they were possibly bullet type, thank you!

Originally Posted by rangermonroe
or wire nuts.
I don't think these would work for my issue, and I will rebuild or replace the cable if necessary.

Thanks gentlemen for the quick replies and ideas!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Are you sure it's not a defective motor?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Hop

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Are you sure it's not a defective motor?
No, I'm not sure yet, but it was when I moved the cable around with my hand that enabled the blower to run and then not run so I assumed it was the cable and or connector. I'm sure the motor failing could be a possibility. I'll know when I rebuild the cable and connector, test for voltage when it is turned on, and then plugging it in and not getting any results. A fuse could also be blown if the faulty cable/connector shorted as it continued to fail.

So on my Sunday, I'll test the fuses, and retest the relay (I already replaced it along with the resistor module), then rebuild the cable and connector if possible, or use blade/bullet connectors, then test for voltage. Then connect and see if I have results.

I can order a new blower easy from a number of suppliers, but I can't find the connector/cable anywhere.

OFF-TOPIC but related... I also need to find the vent control hardware. The Arizona heat where I live was murder on the original plastic vent controls and they are mostly busted. Missing fins, etc.

Also, I'll be posting (after searching of course) a ton of issues in the coming months. I have a suspected bad heater core (no heat), wiring issues in the dash (instruments go dark and to zero but work again when I hit the dash), door locks, control arms in the doors, electric window regulators with a dumb-designed plastic screw guide, a mystical unpredictable on/off issue with my cruise control that engages out of nowhere, and other various annoying electrical issues. Engine runs great though and I want to lift her a few inches after I solve all the cabin/dash issues. Sorry, I'll shut up now.