Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep bogging down and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep bogging down and loss of power

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 6 cyl. I am getting fault codes P0351,P0352 and P0353 which is defined as #1,#2 and#3 ignition coil circuit and code P0505 JEEP Idle Control System Malfunction and code P1495 JEEP EVAP Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit Condition. The problem I'm having is at times the engine will bog down and lose all power and sometimes just completely quits. I can stop the vehicle and turn the key switch off and start the engine back and it will run just fine. I have replaced the cam and crankcase sensors and the fuel filter. Which one of the fault codes do you think would cause this condition? Could a bad coil pack cause this? Thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by maytag
I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 6 cyl. I am getting fault codes P0351,P0352 and P0353 which is defined as #1,#2 and#3 ignition coil circuit and code P0505 JEEP Idle Control System Malfunction and code P1495 JEEP EVAP Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit Condition. The problem I'm having is at times the engine will bog down and lose all power and sometimes just completely quits. I can stop the vehicle and turn the key switch off and start the engine back and it will run just fine. I have replaced the cam and crankcase sensors and the fuel filter. Which one of the fault codes do you think would cause this condition? Could a bad coil pack cause this? Thanks
from the codes that you have and the problem that your having, you are correct in a bad coil pack being the most likely cause. if three coils are down that engine is gonna run like complete crap. you need to verfiy that it is the coils though by making sure that you have good power, ground, and trigger to the coils. if you have all three, then yes you need coils. if you dont have one or any of them, then your more than likely looking at a pcm problem such as a internal failure. the P0505 is more than likely a idle air control motor that has gone bad, however further testing would be required to confirm this, as it could also be a wiring or pcm problem. the iac will not cause the problem you are having with bogging down. however if you are at a stop and it dies, this could be the cause. the evap code i would ignore for the time being.