Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

It's full of hot air???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default It's full of hot air???

Recently I got tired of working on and driving the vehicle I had been driving and I traded it for a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic... I have some stuff I'll need to fix on it but at least when I am working on it, I won't feel like I am "polishing a turd" ...

One problem I need to fix is the temperature (thermostat) **** on the heater/airconditioner doesn't do anything. Once the vehicle warms up, the air that blows out is always hot. (seems like the **** isn't connected to anything)

I don't have any manuals yet and haven't taken the dash apart to check but on some of the previous vehicles I've worked on, this problem would probably be caused by the lever or wire that connects the **** to a water valve having become disconnected... does this sound reasonable?? Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks for any help offered

Bobby
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There's a blend door that mixes hot air from the heater core with outside or recirculated air to control the temperature. Might see if that is moving when you operate the temp control.
Does the air flow move from Defrost to vent to floor when you operate the appropriate control? Sticking on defrost often indicates loss of vacuum to the controls.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, you need to see if it is operating the blend door. I think they went away with the water control valve in '97.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM

RE: Does the air flow move from Defrost to vent to floor when you operate the appropriate control?

Yes the other control does what it's supposed do.... When moved the airflow changes from the defroster to vents to the floorboard..

So...To me, it appears that the **** is not moving the blend door.. How much of the dash needs to be removed to get to this blend door?

Since I've never had this dash apart I don't know if this is a 30 minute job or a 4 hour job? (or sometimes I've found that it's a 4 hour job the first time and a 30 minute job once you figure out how it's supposed to come apart)

Bobby
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 HO

The dash comes alert very easily in my 96. It's probably the same for you. There are like 4 or 5 Phillips head screws and the whole thing comes off.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Jeeze... That was easy....After reading some threads here I knew what I was looking for I easily found the bend motor... it was easy to get to and relatively easy to remove... The blend door moves easily but the motor is corroded and locked up....A replacement motor should fix it

Thanks

Bobby