Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Issue with hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Issue with hard starting

I am sure i am like the millionth person to ask this question but i searched and could not find anything on this issue, except people saying: "Search, this has been asked a million times". And i did but could not find anything.

I got a 1990 and it takes a while to start probably 5-10 seconds. I got a new distributor cap and the thing inside it (rotor?). Going to replace spark plugs and wires soon too.

Just wondering what could be causing this. I seem to have a bit of a rough idle too, it almost sounds like a very slight miss fire.

Is this fuel pump going bad? Fuel regulator? Fuel filter?

Where should I start? I figured i should probably see what my fuel pressure is at. That will probably tell me if its the fuel pump?

i was reading that it could be dirty throttle body and sensors, maybe?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

could be fuel injectors. Try some gumout or even some seafoam in your gas tank. If the starting gets easier then you probably have some bad injectors or they are just dirty.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 AM

I am thinkig if its injectors there would be some other problems not just hard starting.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95

id start with the basics. replace plugs,wires,cap&rotor. see how it does from there. poss add sum seafoam to tank and blow through intake.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Rushin
I am thinkig if its injectors there would be some other problems not just hard starting.
Well you did say it has a rough idle and felt like a slight misfire. Combined with hard starts that sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. Replacing plugs is a good idea but its not going to solve a rough idle. Fresh plugs might make it start a little easier but that will not last long if there is an issue with fuel delivery. I would make a day of it and pull plugs and the fuel rail and clean the injector heads. Run some gum out or seafaom or even some lucas fuel cleaner. These are easy cheap fixes.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

FYI, its perfectly normal for a renix (87-90) jeep to take a few seconds to start. The engine has to reach 300rpm, and find TDC before it will fire. The company that made this system was into aeronautics, and they have more things that have to be done before it will run the engine.

I would definately do a tuneup though.

run a bottle of High mileage "regane" in it through 1/2 tank, the regane has the most cleaning agent out of all the bottled stuff.

Last edited by 89Laredo; 09-12-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 PM

Bumping this up instead of starting a new thread. So far I replaced a fuel pressure regulator and it looks like it help very very little. Jeeps starts a little better but still take a very long time after a 50 mile drive. Another thing I replaced is rotor, distributor cap and new spark plugs and wires.

Another issue i noticed very strongly today is a strange suttering when very light on the throttle at around 2k rpm. I noticed it because I was on a highway doing about 70-75 and every time I bould try to stay at about 65-75 the car would stutter and almost sound like knock. So I had to coast and roll back on the throttle if i was on the gas just a tad more it did not stutter it only did it when I was very light on it.

I know it does it in 3rd gear if i keel the shifter in 3rd and go up to 2k and try to stay there.

I am pretty sure I do have a blown exhaust/ intake gasket because I have that loud exhaust leak noise. The guy I bought the jeep from told me he was told that there is a crack in the the collector but i am skeptical because when I put my hand at the back of the head I can feel exhaust gasses.

I am wondering if the o2 sensor is not reading the mixture right and leans it out?

I just got s pacesetter header and borla exhaust with a new magnaflow cat. Just need to find time to do it.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: inline 6

mine was doing this too, mainly the rough idle. i adjusted the throtle postiton sesor and it has been doing fine ever sence
Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 AM

Yeah I got the rough idle too especially when fully warmend up. How do you adjust tps?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: inline 6

Originally Posted by Rushin
Yeah I got the rough idle too especially when fully warmend up. How do you adjust tps?
mine had two screws, one on top and one on the bottom, losen those and it rotates a little
Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Have you performed a compression test on this motor? If not, thats an excellent place to begin.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

maybe test your coil and/or replace it.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Have not done a compression test. Prety sure engine is fine except the issue with the exhaust leak.

I am pretty sure i fixed the hard start issue. I got a new ceramic fuel pump ballast resistor. When I was taking the old one it just totally fell apart in may hands. Both prongs fell out. New one is a 1.33ohm. The car took probably 5 seconds to start instead of usually 10 and that's after sitting in a driveway all night.

I did get a new tps too. I could not dial the old one to the right voltage. Have not installed that yet.

Hopefully going to start on replacing the header with a pacesetter later today. Any tips for me doing this job? What's the best way to cap the fuel lines while working on the car?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Seafoam FTW!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by dukie564
Seafoam FTW!