Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Introduction and, SUPRISE! AW4 Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Introduction and, SUPRISE! AW4 Problems.

Hey guys! I've been a long time lurker. We've had an xj in the family for about 10 years and this is my 2nd time having it as my main ride while my main ride(78 f250) is down and out. (1st time the rear axle exploded, and now I can't smog it!) I've always loved the cherokee, and not long ago a co-worker gave us his 4" fabtech lift so i've been tinkering with the XJ for the past few months.It's a 91 laredo with a 96 grand cherokee 4.0, 4" lift with s10 bastard packs in the back, 32ish muds, custom fender rolling(with a hammer) and hockey puck bumpstops so far. I've been having a lot of fun with this little rig.

So.. Tonight i went up into the mountains to check out some snow. I was hammering it pretty hard in 4 low up a snowy hill and after several attempts i started having tranny problems. I got back down to the road and in D it seems like it starts in 3rd or 4th. I can manually shift it from 2-3-4, but 1st gear is missing no matter what i do. I've searched and read about the TCM and shift soldenoids but no one seems to have the exact same missing gear. I'm gonna check tomorrow for fuses and what not, but any help would be appreciated! thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

How does it shift in D?
It could be a bad solenoid...
Do you know someone with the same or close to the same year cherokee you could borrow the TCU out of, just to be sure?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Defiance665
How does it shift in D?
It could be a bad solenoid...
Do you know someone with the same or close to the same year cherokee you could borrow the TCU out of, just to be sure?
I'm sure i can find someone. In D it starts in 3 and goes to 4. I'm pretty sure about that anyways. test it again tomorrow