Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Angry Power steering problems

Hey guys i just joined and i got my first XJ about 8 months ago.

Recently my power steering and a leek so i replaced the leeking hose and then the power steering pump started leeking so i replaced that too. now when i fill it up with PS fluid it forces its way out of the high pressure connection. Im at a lose now... i have no idea what to do since i only have slightly above avarage mechanical skill. so if you guys have any deas let me know. thanks a million
Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

After completing maintenance on the PS system...I.E...replacing a hose, the pump or steering box, you need to fill the power steering pump resevoir, cycle the steering wheel lock to lock about 15-20 times, check the fluid level and start the engine and cycle the steering wheel another 15-20 times and then check the level and fill to the full line. I think what you are experiencing is air in the system in your Jeep.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 PM

I filled it up turned the wheels then added more and turned them again till it stayed full then turned on the car and let it run cheked the levels again and let it sit for 5-10 min. after that i reved the car at 3000 or so rpm for a min or so and then got out and it was leaking from the high presure hose so i tighted it down a little more and the PS fluid started to come out by the nut head were you tighten the fitting. i took all the lines off to make sure they were clear (they were all clear) reattached all of them and the same problem happened. so could it mean i have a bad rack and pinion? or just a block in the line some where besides the hoses?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM

also does anyone know if i can do the durango Steering box swap on a 2wd cherokee?

Last edited by Wanabjeep; 01-12-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Wanabjeep
I filled it up turned the wheels then added more and turned them again till it stayed full then turned on the car and let it run cheked the levels again and let it sit for 5-10 min. after that i reved the car at 3000 or so rpm for a min or so and then got out and it was leaking from the high presure hose so i tighted it down a little more and the PS fluid started to come out by the nut head were you tighten the fitting. i took all the lines off to make sure they were clear (they were all clear) reattached all of them and the same problem happened. so could it mean i have a bad rack and pinion? or just a block in the line some where besides the hoses?
Did you install the supplied rubber o ring on the pressure side hose? When I replaced one the box the hose came in had several of them in a plastic bag and the instructions said to make sure to install one.

If you did, you might've dinged up the threads on the fitting. It's aluminum and doesn't take much to screw em up.

Last edited by danimal; 01-12-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 PM

hhhmmm i didnt think of that. i think i will try buying a new $15 dollar hose befor i buy the new steering box. ill let you know if it works tomorrow.

thanks for the quick replys

Last edited by Wanabjeep; 01-12-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a couple different vehicles come through at work, replaced the box, and the lines now leak where they connect to the box. If there is an impurity in the old box, that line now has that impurity. All I have ever done to fix that is install a new line and it has always fixed my issue. Its almost like the lines can get mated to a steering box. Doesnt happen all the time, but there is the odd time that it does.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 AM

hey guys. so it turns out that the threats on the power stearing pump i got where bad so it was cross threaing the hoses. so after swaping out the PS pump again and getting another new hose i put it all back to gether and all the leaks have stopped!!

thanks for alll your help!!!
The following users liked this post:
Karinaw27 (08-01-2023)