Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent starting issue..lots of crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Unhappy Intermittent starting issue..lots of crank but no start

Most of the time my 89 XJ will start fine, but recently it started taking longer to crank and would sometimes sound like it's going to start but doesn't. Once or twice a loud buzzer and the idiot lights would come on but what the hell does that mean?! Most of the time it just immediately begins to crank again until I let go of the key. I got stranded for a half hour because it wouldn't start and the tow truck driver came and started it with only a little choking. He said it sounded like a fuel issue but the fuel pump is pretty loud on start up so I don't think it is that. It has new plugs and wires, throttle position sensor, map sensor, and mustang 5.0 injectors, but I'm not sure but I can pretty much eliminate those as well. I've heard that it could be the ignition control module, I was thinking about replacing that and the coil but money is tight so I need to get the right parts.

So here I am stranded because it wouldn't start.

Any ideas???!!!!

Last edited by MISS4X4; 06-02-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Bad sentence.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MISS4X4
Most of the time my 89 XJ will start fine, but recently it started taking longer to crank and would sometimes sound like it's going to start but doesn't. Once or twice a loud buzzer and the idiot lights would come on but what the hell does that mean?! Most of the time it just immediately begins to crank again until I let go of the key. I got stranded for a half hour because it wouldn't start and the tow truck driver came and started it with only a little choking. He said it sounded like a fuel issue but the fuel pump is pretty loud on start up so I don't think it is that. It has new plugs and wires, throttle position sensor, map sensor, and mustang 5.0 injectors, but I'm not sure but I can pretty much eliminate those as well. I've heard that it could be the ignition control module, I was thinking about replacing that and the coil but money is tight so I need to get the right parts.

So here I am stranded because it wouldn't start.

Any ideas???!!!!
The fuel pump being loud only means that its loud not that its working properly. Take a fuel pressure reading.

Test for fuel pressure and go from there.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

by choking it do you mean he covered the throttle body with his hand if so he cutting air off i would look into cleaning the iac motor and check for broken vacuum line
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Don't throw parts at this on a hunch. Terribly inefficient and gets expensive in a hurry.

I agree that a fuel pressure test WITH A GAUGE is in order. For an 89, you should have 31 psi at idle. Then disconnect the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure should jump to approximately 39 psi. I'd take a reading with a cold engine (one that sat overnight) to see if you have or get to that 31 psi reading quickly.

Fuel pressure readings are the only way to rule this in or out, which needs to be done early in the troubleshooting process.

Another thing to do is to freshen your engine grounds. RENIX (87-90) hate poor engine grounds.

BTW, you mention it has new plugs and wires. Finish your tuneup with a new distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM

5.0 Injectors? am i missing something? why does this thing have 4 Liter injectors?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
by choking it do you mean he covered the throttle body with his hand if so he cutting air off i would look into cleaning the iac motor and check for broken vacuum line
sorry for the vague description, I meant the engine sputtered and sounded like it was choking on fuel.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM

I will definitely test the fuel pressure, it has been a very expensive road.

JEEP$.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM

So...lots of time passes and it's been starting fine. Until recently. Now it seems that if it has been parked and the sun has been beating on the hood chances are good it won't start. I had someone spray starting fluid into the air box and it started right up. Could this be the Crank Position Sensor?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 I6

How did the pressure test go? I replaced my CPS and it still stalls. I'm thinking it's my coil. I'm thinking you could have a plugged fuel filter maybe. try just cleaning it out. My old jeep used to get a little clogged up and die. then it would settle and start fine.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Originally Posted by Jhungerford12
5.0 Injectors? am i missing something? why does this thing have 4 Liter injectors?
Better spray by way for 4 port outlet verses single port stock injector, supposed to be direct bolt in, but I have no personal experience with them. Neon injectors are supposed to be the same thing as the 5.0 injectors.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Originally Posted by jeepinjason
How did the pressure test go? I replaced my CPS and it still stalls. I'm thinking it's my coil. I'm thinking you could have a plugged fuel filter maybe. try just cleaning it out. My old jeep used to get a little clogged up and die. then it would settle and start fine.
Don't clean your fuel filter, for $15 you can get a new one. By cleaning it I assume you mean force air or liquid thru it. They are paper filters inside and if you force anything thru it, it's cuz you ripped the paper, effectively meaning you no longer have a filter in there.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by sv41878
Don't clean your fuel filter, for $15 you can get a new one. By cleaning it I assume you mean force air or liquid thru it. They are paper filters inside and if you force anything thru it, it's cuz you ripped the paper, effectively meaning you no longer have a filter in there.
i meant just letting gas run through one way, then the other. its an easy way to save $15. But you are right, it can damage it usually. I just did it on an old jeep i used to beat around the yard with.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Well it was the fuel pump. It wasn't pumping enough fuel through and the sock had completely disintegrated.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990

BTW, did you adjust that new TPS?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by cruiser54
BTW, did you adjust that new TPS?
Adjust ? I put a new one on a week or so ago and didn't see anything regarding adjusting. Is that just for Renix type engines ?

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue..lots of crank but no start