Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent P0204 and P0304

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Intermittent P0204 and P0304

OK, 98 XJ Inline 6. 140k

Couple of weeks back, got the 0304 - Cyl 4 misfire. Was going on a trip to the lake, so didn't look much into it. Figured it was due for new plugs anyways. Did the plugs, cleared the code. Drove to the lake and back w/o any codes.

Couple of days later, MIL comes on again. Pull the codes, 0204 - Cylinder 4 Injector and 0304 'pending'. Visually checked for cracked, broken wires.
Check spark plug wires, all in good condition. Pulled dist. cap, visually looks OK. Rotor is a little dark...probably should be replaced, but I would expect to have multiple misfires if that was failing...?

Checked continuity for the injectors - 12.4 ohms across the board (except #3, cos I can't get my fingers behind the accel. cables). Tested elec. harness - noid light shines.

So electrically - injector 4 seems OK.
Mechanically, not too sure...Things I haven't done: Swapped injector with neighbor.

Also a slightly gassy smell, and at one point in troubleshooting noticed smoke from engine bay - appears that fuel ( or something) may have been leaking from where..??? on to the exhaust mani.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I guess the neighbor swap would be the best test at this point. But I'm concerned with the slight fuel ( i think) leak cos I don't wanna be driving and spontaneously combust!

I can feel the stumble right before the MIL comes on, and can hear it from the exhaust output. If I clear the codes, I don't feel any stumble up until right before the MIL comes on again. I can't define any action that generates the misfire/injector codes, other than it seems to be either backing up slowly in reverse gear or driving at slow speeds (ex. pulling into a parking spot).

My problem tho, is I'm unsure how to unhook the accel. cables to the throttle body. Any one got tips for that?

thanks.
-jb