Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1988 XJ problems just keep coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Exclamation 1988 XJ problems just keep coming

Bought the jeep (pioneer, 4.0 I6, 4WD auto, 4" lift) for 800. Was in good condition, but it had a problem with overheating. Fixed that... Took it over to a jeep expert in Dallas, Marlow Automotive... He fixed the TPS, MAP, the horn and the high beams.
Btw, I changed the oil myself, can't remember what weight.
Now...
I got the jeep back, got the A/C fixed and charged for 35 bucks. I ordered a boss radio and cup holder on amazon and installed them. It started up and shut down twice perfectly, everything worked as it should.

Now, yesterday, when I went to start it, I turn the key nothing happens.
-I checked the battery.. Has 12 volts.
-I checked all the fuses on the drivers side, none broken
-I jumped the starter motor with a screw driver, it works, neither the fuel pump or the spark plugs will allow it to start.
- on the gauges... It reads full tank. Has a normal temp. BUT the battery is pegged to zero.
So I definitely think its a electrical problem.

The last time this happened, I found that it was just my key cylinder in the column. Replaced that, no problems until now...
Now remember that when I installed the radio, the jeep was able to start and stop, twice without any problems.

So do you think I should replace the ignition switch?
As far as I know, it's under a heavy load. Do you think somehow I went bad? But I hate to just throw parts at it, I'm bleeding money as it is.

Also, a completely different problem, before I got the a/c fixed and radio installed, when the engine would turn over, I would hear some loud tapping. The oil pressure would be around 30 psi (according to the gauge). Note that this jeep had never had this problem, but only after I got it back from Marlow.
I'm thinking about putting a heavier weight in, Texas weather, a constant 90-110 degrees.

Once I can get it started I'm planning in taking it over to Marlow again, because I took it to him to fix the overall sluggishness of them jeep. It would struggle to get over 45 mph. Now, it takes a long time, and struggles to get to 65 mph. And gets horrible mpg.

Marlow said it was a great jeep, the 4.0 i6 engine was in great shape, and the trans was in great shape... And was a Toyota.

Just a quick note... Marlows a great mech... Highly recommended.

So far this jeep has been nothing but problem after problem. I tired of driving the work truck, and would love to get it on the road again. I hope it's possible with a bit of insight.