Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent Loss Of Electrical Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)
Default Intermittent Loss Of Electrical Power

Hi, guys. Back with more issues....Recently, like within the last week or so, my '93 has been having an electrical issue. I can run the acc. just fine and listen to the radio all day (I don't, by the way) and have no issues. Then when I go to start it, as soon as the key hits the "start" position, ALL electrical power is GONE! No dome lights, radio, nothing....Won't even crank, just click once and done.

Happens even in the morning when I first get in. Everything turns on like it should, but soon as I turn the key, dead everything. Seems like messing with the battery cables a little will help as the dome lights eventually come back on and it'll start it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what this is....The negative post on the battery IS worn down quite a bit from cleaning it a few times, so the cable hasn't been making good contact. Put one of those metal cap things used to fix that on it, but it's still doing it. Terminals are TIGHT against the post and free of corrosion.

If anyone has an idea what to check out, please help me out! I don't believe it's a broken wire somewhere since after jiggling the terminals a little brings the power back on.....I'm thinking the neg. post is just too worn down and I need a new battery, but I'd like some ideas to check out before I drop $100 on a battery.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Ignition switch.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Ignition switch could cause all the power to cut out like that, but come back on?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I had a similar issue,
I would go to start my 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0,
It would click once then lose all power, Play with ground wire from neg post on battery down to the block, wiggle it and it would come back on then do the same crap again.. I changed terminals, same crap again.. Turns out my ground wire was no good, Replaced wire from the neg post to where it grounds on the block and have not had that issue again..

If you say it comes on when you wiggle it I am thinking you have a loose ground on the block or bad connection, Replace the entire ground wire b-4 you spend a hundred bucks on a battery, It is cheap enough to do and will eliminate a connection problem...

Just a thought for ya..

Last edited by Ant.; 03-19-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 PM

Thanks, I'll have to look into that! Where does it go onto the block, though? I'm sure yours might be different, but just as a general idea of location
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TwoXJS
Thanks, I'll have to look into that! Where does it go onto the block, though? I'm sure yours might be different, but just as a general idea of location

Mine was located on the block, Where the coil mounts... It will be a short wire, Just follow it down..
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Okay, cool, thanks! Mine's a 93, so I don't have the coil packs....
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM

Okay, cool, thanks! Mine's a 93, so I don't have the coil packs....
No prob, I do not have the coil packs either, I think they started that in 2000...

Ant...
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM

My coil's is at the back of the engine, close to the oil filter....Is that where yours is, too?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Disassemble and clean all your connections on the battery cables. It also sounds like you might need a new battery.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM

I might end up replacing the connections on the cables, and possibly the cables as well. Any idea how much that would run approximately? Or a good place to get them?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

There's a guy on here that makes cables...I believe his handle is 5-90. I haven't bought from him, but many people seem to be happy with his products.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM

Cool, I might have to send him a PM soon! I just looked at O'Rielly's and they have both negative and positive cables premade. Positive is 56 inches, 4 Gauge and has an auxillary lead on it and it about $13. Negative is 38 inch, 4 Gauge and also has a lead coming off it and is about $8. What're the leads for?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
Disassemble and clean all your connections on the battery cables. It also sounds like you might need a new battery.
Mines little closer to the front of the motor,
Best thing is to follow it down from the post, Find where it connects on block, Clean the connection real good there, make sure it's not loose.. If the wire looks old you could have a bad/corroded wire as well.. The fact that you can wiggle the wire and it comes back on is telling me there is a connection problem there somewhere.

Ant...
Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 PM

My coil's is at the back of the engine, close to the oil filter....Is that where yours is, too?

Mines little closer to the front of the motor,
Best thing is to follow it down from the post, Find where it connects on block, Clean the connection real good there, make sure it's not loose.. If the wire looks old you could have a bad/corroded wire as well.. The fact that you can wiggle the wire and it comes back on is telling me there is a connection problem there somewhere.

Ant...

Quick Reply: Intermittent Loss Of Electrical Power