Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent lack of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Straight 6
Default Intermittent lack of fuel

Got a new to me 1996 Cherokee. Straight 6 engine. Odometer shows 85,000 miles. No idea if it's accurate or not.

Bought the thing from a private party about a month back for $2,400. It would best be describes as rough. It was not well taken care of.

But for our purposes that's not a big deal. We're using it as a "pasture Jeep". We have a large pasture with rolling hills and ditches. It won't be driven on the road. Just used to check on cows, haul some seed to the planter, or haul a couple of chainsaws out to cut brush. Stuff like that.

When I bought the thing it barely had any fuel in it. So I topped off the tank first thing.

About 2 weeks later it started sputtering and died like it wasn't getting fuel. (I was on level ground) Fuel gauge showed half a tank. We used a tractor to drag it back home and topped off the tank. It fired right up and ran great. I wondered if the fuel gauge wasn't working?

Yesterday I was driving it, and got on a fairly steep side slope. (Left side lower than the right) It once again sputtered and died like it wasn't getting fuel. Since the fuel tank is on the left side I wondered if that was a problem. I got a tractor and pulled it up to level ground. It started right up and ran great. Fuel tank shows 3/4 full.

Another note - It occasionally dies at idle. Like if you come to the top off the hill and take your foot off the gas the engine might die. Not always, but sometimes.

I did some research, and found suggestions that the injectors might be dirty. So I put 2 cans of Seafoam in the first tank of fuel. When we filled it up I put 2 cans of store brand fuel injector cleaner from O'Reilly auto parts in. So far it has made no difference.

I wondered if the pump in the fuel tank is bad. When I turn the keep on I can hear it run for a couple of seconds. Don't know if they can go bad, but still run?

Not sure what else to think or what to do next. Which of course is why I'm posting here. Hoping you guys have some suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I believe the fuel tank sits pretty much in the middle. At least my 93’ does.
Have you checked the fuel filter? I’ve only changed mine once cause it was leaking fuel.
It is located on the left side.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Check your fuel pressure. Testing beats guessing.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:27 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Year: 1990

Very likely that the hose inside the tank is split.

Check fuel pressure like Mark says.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:23 AM

Sorry I've been away for a few days. Had to do some re-planting.

I have not yet changed the fuel filter. But it sounds like a good idea. Since the Jeep is old and not well cared for, who knows when it was last changed.

I have no idea how to check the fuel pressure. Last night I took a quick look at the engine. On the fuel rail there's something that looks like a shrader valve on a tire, but is a bit larger. I assume that's the spot? I'll have to look at trying to borrow a pressure gauge that will fit it.

What pressure range should I be looking for?
Old 06-04-2021, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

It's a Schrader valve. Bingo, you found the spot. You can rent a pressure tester for free from some auto parts stores.

Not sure of the pressure on the 96. Might find it on Cruiser's site.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 PM

Been busy, so obviously I haven't been back for a few days.

I got a new fuel filter and got it changed. The old one appeared to have been there a long time.

I also managed to borrow a fuel pressure gauge. It had 38 PSI at idle. The mechanic I borrowed the gauge from said it should be close to 50.

Only thing I can figure is the fuel pump must be weak. Unless there's something else I should check?
Old 06-13-2021, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done dealing with fuel issues on my 96! When you had the pressure gauge, did you check to see if it was holding pressure after your primed the engine? (Turning the key to on but not starting the engine) It should take several minutes to go down a couple psi. Sounds like you might have a bad check valve on your fuel sending unit as well. The pump pushes fuel up the lines, and once it stops running it all drains back down into the tank thus starving the engine. For other years this is an easy fix. Unfortunately they decided 96 had to be a unique year and put that in the fuel sending unit. I opted to replace the whole assembly, just make sure it is for 96 specifically, other years wont work.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:07 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Uncle Jessie

I got a new fuel filter and got it changed. The old one appeared to have been there a long time.

I also managed to borrow a fuel pressure gauge. It had 38 PSI at idle. The mechanic I borrowed the gauge from said it should be close to 50.

Only thing I can figure is the fuel pump must be weak. Unless there's something else I should check?

Yes. 49 PSI
Old 06-13-2021, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Uncle Jessie

Should be 49 psi +/- 5 IIRC.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:07 PM

Thall102291 asked if the pressure went down. Yes, it went down maybe one # per second, or something roughly like that.

I got it scheduled to go to a shop to get a new fuel pump. But they're busy, so they can't get it in for about 2 weeks.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

You have to drop the tank to change the pump. The J-bolts are probably rusted pretty solid and may not survive the ordeal. They usually need to be cut off. Just letting you know so you don't think your mechanic is jerking you around.

Replacements are stupid expensive, but many on this forum have found alternatives.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:55 AM

Got the Jeep back from the shop a few days back after they replaced the fuel pump. The said they could not see any obvious problems with the old pump.

Seems to me it's running better overall than it did before. It no longer dies at idle. Hasn't died with a half full tank of gas. So hopefully the problem is solved.

Thanks to all of you who helped.
The following users liked this post:
BlueRidgeMark (07-04-2021)