Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent crank no start w/ new cps, cam sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Intermittent crank no start w/ new cps, cam sensor

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4 234k

​​​So I got one for y'all. I've thrown a bunch of new parts at this and had it running for a couple weeks and now I'm right back where I started. It started this morning no problem, ran great, but now it won't start. While running it does have a check engine light but my scanner is not compatible.

PO did cap, rotor, plugs and wires around 5k miles ago.

The fuel gauge and voltage gauge do not work right now, but when they do it will fire. Very rarely will it start with them "dead."
Initially I thought it was fuel related so put in a new fuel pump no dice. Tested the pressure at the rail and it's good. Checked all relays and fuses they looked good. Did replace one for the starter relay. New battery terminals and cleaned the grounds. And a brand new battery when I first bought it.

Moved onto the crank sensor still nothing. It was a Mopar too. I cleaned the NSS. Then a new starter. Then a new camshaft position sensor seemed to do the trick. That lasted for a couple weeks now I'm back to square one. Sometimes if I leave the terminals disconnected for a while the gauges work and she fires. I don't have a clue what do you guys think?

Last edited by StuckInParkingLot98; 01-09-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Did you get the 2 grounds in the trunk (drivers side behind the trim panel)? Those grounds are notorious for corroding and causing electrical hell.

You can get Autozone (or your local parts retailer) to read your CEL code for you. I'm sure that would be helpful for troubleshooting.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Did you get the 2 grounds in the trunk (drivers side behind the trim panel)? Those grounds are notorious for corroding and causing electrical hell.

You can get Autozone (or your local parts retailer) to read your CEL code for you. I'm sure that would be helpful for troubleshooting.
They looked good but I cleaned em up anyway and still nothing. The problem is getting the Jeep to Autozone. I'm afraid to turn it off cause you never know if she wants to start up again haha
Old 01-09-2018, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor carefully. No fuel and voltage gauge combined with a no start is a classic sign of CPS circuit being bad. Could be the sensor was fine, but that the circuit in general is having an issue. Make sure to take a close look at the harness that wraps back around the fuel rail, they have a reputation for rubbing on the fuel rail and getting damaged.

By the way, that circuit having a problem also has a reputation for making it impossible for getting an obd2 scan tool to connect to the pcm.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Check the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor carefully. No fuel and voltage gauge combined with a no start is a classic sign of CPS circuit being bad. Could be the sensor was fine, but that the circuit in general is having an issue. Make sure to take a close look at the harness that wraps back around the fuel rail, they have a reputation for rubbing on the fuel rail and getting damaged.

By the way, that circuit having a problem also has a reputation for making it impossible for getting an obd2 scan tool to connect to the pcm.
Thanks for the info. I had to ditch the Jeep at school so it will be a minute before I can get to it but I'll keep you posted
Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Going to sound crazy.
My 87 (yea i know its renix)has occasional no crank issue.
I found the CPS appears to get polarized, best way i know to explain it.
I unplug it, and plug it back in and it starts every time.
Never heard of another having that issue.
owned it for 7 years and it might do it a few times a year.