Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee (1990) Will Not Start

Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Jeep Cherokee (1990) Will Not Start

I live in an extremely cold climate that is commonly negative or in the single digits and yesterday I went to move my car to a parking spot about 15 feet away. I started it up, moved it, then turned the engine off. I noticed as I was going back inside that something in the engine didn't shut off. I went to try to start it again and didn't have any luck turning it on and the noise remained.
I let it sit for a while to see if the noise would stop and after about 15 minutes it did. I went to try to start the car again and still couldn't start it. It wouldn't click either. Lights were still turning on as was the stereo. I figured my battery was dead but after trying to jump it with my girlfriends car, I didn't have any luck. I've been searching the forums trying to find anything I can to get me going in the right direction.
I'm not handy with cars and this car was just passed down from my mother. Is there anyone who may have experienced a similar issue in the past that might be able to help? I would appreciate it!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Are you normally able to turn the radio on when the vehicle is turned off with key out of ignition? I suppose if it is aftermarket, anything is possible, but my stereo is not able to be turned on when the vehicle is off at the ignition switch.

It's hard to identify through internet, but I'm wondering if you were hearing your heater blower fan running for that 15 minutes. Don't know, just guessing, also leaves the question as to why it would magically stop at 15 minutes...unless it totally killed the battery in that time (I suppose that's possible, but seems a stretch).

In an older XJ like mine, it has what is called a "loaded" ignition switch. That means the the actual amperage for many things (like my blower fan) run through the ignition switch itself. But on newer models like yours, the ignition switch typically provides power to relay(s) that in turn provide the high amperage to other things (the downside is that it is more complex, the good side is that your steering wheel doesn't melt down and catch on fire when the ignition switch over heats).

I'm wondering if one of those relays perhaps stuck due to the cold and basically left certain parts of your system "on". Or perhaps the ignition switch itself is having a problem.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:38 PM

Are you thinking that the relay may need to be replaced? I did also notice a smell resembling a small electrical fire after it was completely off.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Wait a sec, I don't know why but I thought you had a newer model (97+). So you should have a loaded ignition switch as well.

I would check the general condition of ignition switch and its connector first. Make sure some wires didn't melt there.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Thank you, I will be sure to check that out
Old 01-09-2018, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Check out cruiser's page for great info about your XJ - cruiser54.com
Also, if he advises something for any problem you have - you should do it
Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Renix wiring sucks.
i would go to the ignition switch too since you said it wasn't shutting off.
considering the age, i would check the screws on the switch where its mounted on the column and make sure they didn't come loose and the switch just slid on the slots.