Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent A/C trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Intermittent A/C trouble

So the wife was using the 94 XJ as her daily driver last week. She told me on two different days on her way home that the AC was blowing warm air. I would get home and the AC would be working fine. Today leaving church the AC was blowing ambient temp air. So when we got home, I got out and had her engage the AC. The elec fan would come on and I could hear the compressor clutch engage and load the engine, but no cold air. She cycled the switch several times, with no difference. We drove to a friends house for some cornhole, using the 4x55 AC. When we left to come home, the AC was blowing cold again. I'm illiterate when it comes to auto AC systems. So, any advice or places to start will be greatly appreciated.

Also - when you shut the engine off, you hear water running for 15 seconds or so. Coolant level is fine. I don't know if this is related or not.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I had the same issue last week and did some research. I went to the autoparts store and picked up some refrigerant for about $35 and re-charged my AC. I had never done this before and was pretty nervous about making a mistake, however the videos on the interwebs are very good at explaining what to do. Do some research on recharging your year make and model and you will find a video or two on how to do it.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

If it is low on Freon, then there is a leak. You can get some kits to find where the leak is. Then you fix it, vacuum it, and charge it. All of this can require specialized equipment and a fair amount of mechanical knowledge.

If you are uncomfortable going through this process yourself, find a hopefully reputable shop and pay them to fix it. You would be working around some dangerous materials and pressures than can and will get you if you don't know what you are doing.

Most of the DIY printed manuals don't cover A/C systems for that very reason. They will tell you to go to a professional, which is sound advice in this case.

Hot-shotting some cure-all in a can you find at AutoZone or WalMart is not a fix.