Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent blower motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Intermittent blower motor issue

I have a 2000 XJ and have been fighting an intermittent issue with the blower motor for several months.

Basically, from time to time my blower motor will not work at all. The A/C compressor will kick on if I turn on defrost or A/C, but the blower motor does not do anything.

It will eventually work, but I have not been able to get it to work the same way twice. Sometimes I move the fan speed dial, sometimes I tap the control panel, sometimes I just wait, but eventually it will work.

I have replaced the resistor (factory one was rusty, and looked terrible), the A/C relay, and the control panel. The control panel was replaced with one from a junk yard.

Basically nothing has fixed the problem. Every time I think I have fixed it, it comes back after a month or so of not happening.

I have also gone through as much of the wiring as I can looking for a frayed wire, and also checked the blower motor connection.

The only item left to replace is the blower motor, but I hate just throwing parts with no justification. I also have my doubts on the blower motor considering it will at times work for a few months without any issue. Unfortunately, it has never happened at a time when I can test anything, and also it has never happened for longer than a few minutes.

Been pulling out my hair, and hoping someone here has a suggestion for me.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

something similar i had it was the plug that powers the blower motor it would work at times and other times just act up eventually i ended up just cutting the connector and put new pressed connections on it and works everytime now.

- Marc

edit: it was really deceiving at times i checked the plug many times and looked good every time, tho i do not recomment cutting into the original wiring just a suggestion

Last edited by LadyKenai; 03-13-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM

when you have the blower motor out you can look inside the spinning part it could have some small piece of junk in it that locks the motor up, if thats the only thing left to check.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Thanks. I will have to dig back into this soon. I have a feeling it is simple solution (frayed wire, bad connection, etc), I just haven't been able to get it to happen when I have the time to test anything.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 PM

when this happens you could check that plug right away wiggle it since its so randomly or check at the time if the blower motor is buzzing or is just dead no power

marc
Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Default Blower Motor

How many miles on that blower motor? Some of the field windings could be shorted and it will still work, but weakly and intermittent. Of course first check all the electrical connections and GROUNDS.

Knucklebuster
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Year: 1999

What Knucklebuster said. I've seen this. Disconnect the power/ground connector from where it connects to the resistor. Use jumper wires to add power and ground to the fan. If it starts spinning RIGHT NOW and spins FAST, more than likely, it is still good. If it kinda spins and gets faster and faster and faster, I'll bet you need a new blower motor.

YMMV,

KenR

Last edited by KenR; 03-16-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

The blower motor is original. Also, when it happens the blower motor is completely dead, does nothing at all.

I have only had it happen to me once at home, and it was about 10 degrees that day so I couldn't really check too much

Most of the time it has happened when I am far from home with no ability to anything but hope for the best. it usually starts working again in a few minutes, sometimes seconds.

The weather is starting to warm up here so I'm hoping to get it resolved before we get into summer heat.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

18 years is a pretty good run for a blower motor. In fact, I'd replace it just to prevent the wire melting b.s. that occurs when the motor goes bad. Assuming you've already confirmed grounds and connector are good.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Year: 1999

JPZ,
Yep, sounds like new blower motor time.

KR